Sponsored by:

Light Front End over 110

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:46 PM
live2shift
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

No offence taken Tom , I always appreciate constuctive, factual criticism. I have owned and wrenched over 45 cars since I was 15 year old, but I must admit I don't check my tire pressure every time I drive one of my cars, but maybe I should. I developed a leak that was not visually obvious due to short and stiff sidewalls. I guess I have gotten spoiled by my lowly C5 Corvette and ratty old impala automatically telling me when the tire pressure is low, but seriously, lesson learned. I am sure you have learned a few yourself Tom... I thought that I read that the Feds are mandating automatic tire pressure on all new cars in a few years. Sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by live2shift
I thought that I read that the Feds are mandating automatic tire pressure on all new cars in a few years. Sounds like a good idea.
Mandating automatic tire pressure on all new cars? Sounds like a bad idea to me.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:29 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

live2shift, you bet I learned the hard way. But both from checking the tires. Then realizing how glad I was to have done it. Once at Sebring at tech tire pressure around 19psi and found a nail in the tire just before I went onto the track, Once at Moroso, same deal checked the pressures were like 15psi, and no I didnt notice by the appearance either and found out the metal valve was leaking.
After finding out so much by just tire pressure checks it quickly became habit!
Good Luck, have fun!
tom
Old 10-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Iloveheat
Advanced

My opinion about how the 996tt behave at high speed is still the same: not great. It is very sensitive to any difference in the road, and tends to follow way too much any imperfection that you always find in the road. Any way....I check my tire pressure once per week, on Saturday morning with cold tires. I found that if I don't check it for three weeks, with the temperature dropping due to the change of season, the difference can be up to three PSI. So much talking about PSI that nobody said what PSI pressure is used: I keep the tires at the Porsche reccomended pressure: 36 front, and 44 rear. What about you guys?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Iloveheat
My opinion about how the 996tt behave at high speed is still the same: not great.
I have a very differnet opinion...the faster I go the more stable the stock Turbo becomes.

I keep the tires at the Porsche reccomended pressure: 36 front, and 44 rear. What about you guys?
I run about 2 psi lower than what Porsche recommends.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:56 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

I think we know that the 996 doesn't have the best aerodynamic shape out there. But Porsche has done a very good job of killing lift and making the car stable at speed. I've never had it do anything strange at speed because of aerodynamics.

I run factory pressures on the street (2.5 and 3.0 bar).

Stephen
Old 10-25-2006, 03:08 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also run lower tire pressures and my car with the aero kit seems to have more down force and feel MORE stable over 100mph
Old 10-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Kiko
Racer

My opinion about how the 996tt behave at high speed is still the same: not great. It is very sensitive to any difference in the road, and tends to follow way too much any imperfection that you always find in the road. Any way....I check my tire pressure once per week, on Saturday morning with cold tires. I found that if I don't check it for three weeks, with the temperature dropping due to the change of season, the difference can be up to three PSI. So much talking about PSI that nobody said what PSI pressure is used: I keep the tires at the Porsche reccomended pressure: 36 front, and 44 rear. What about you guys?
Are you using Michelin Pilot Sport Rib by any chance?

Quick Reply: Light Front End over 110