Light Front End over 110

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kiko,
I loved your pictures!!
What do you think actual speed was based upon gearing and your tires rolling circumference
and your RPM??
I do not believe 207 is accurate, but I am not the math genious that many are on this board are.

I believe that you do not have the power to push through the wind at 207 actual.

Just curious...

Marty K.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Iloveheat
Advanced

Originally Posted by live2shift
So you guys have had the cars running well over 110MPH with rock stable lane changes and no light change in feeling in the steering wheel?
I am with you: I have the same feeling. Plus I agree about the aligment. I don't know how much about the toe in, or because of the caster. that is what makes cars go straight and not wander. But I have 41k miles on a 02 turbo and I never liked the way it rides above 100mph.....
Old 10-17-2006, 12:30 AM
Iloveheat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I have and recently... mine has a full set of new tires (a month ago) and an alignment that was done two months ago (before I got the car)... If I remember correctly, from the service records of the previous owner, the alignment at a Porsche shop was around US$240.00. I will check and post the exact amount when I get home.

But as far as stability... I have the stock suspension, 51K miles, and at those speeds the car feels great
$260.00 here in Roswell, GA.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Kiko
Racer

Originally Posted by Woodster
Kiko,
I loved your pictures!!
What do you think actual speed was based upon gearing and your tires rolling circumference
and your RPM??
I do not believe 207 is accurate, but I am not the math genious that many are on this board are.

I believe that you do not have the power to push through the wind at 207 actual.

Just curious...

Marty K.
I asked Jean about this and the foto doing 334km/h (207mph - ON DASH) was taken a bit under 7000rev but I hitted the rev limiter twice for a 1/2 a mile or so on that run and according to Jean I should be doing somewhere near 330km/h (205mph) on the rev limiter but he also says that only with a proper GPS (AX 22) we could be 100% sure, the truth is the german mag Sport und Auto clocked 331km/h (206mph) on a car just like mine in this tuner comparo, actually the highest of the bunch and the only one with stock K16's doing 0,9 max and 1,0 bar peak, here it is...

http://www.t-t-p.de/T/Wuchtnach.htm

P.S. It seems that K16's are not so bad after all!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Kiko
Racer

Originally Posted by Iloveheat
I am with you: I have the same feeling. Plus I agree about the aligment. I don't know how much about the toe in, or because of the caster. that is what makes cars go straight and not wander. But I have 41k miles on a 02 turbo and I never liked the way it rides above 100mph.....
Probably the fact my car is a RoW makes all the difference but I'm positive all your problems will be sorted doing a proper wheel alignment and as I said before once the car is up there ask them to do an inspection on the bushings, rose joints, sway bar links (known for coming off and break), etc.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:55 AM
live2shift
Advanced

Well, I think I found a Smoking Gun. I was advised to try a full tank og gas to see if that would mak a difference. When I was filling up I decided to check my tire pressure and I found my left rear tire had only 19 lbs in it! I filled it up to correct pressure and WOW, Rock-Solid. Problem solved!
Old 10-22-2006, 01:17 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Had to be something like that. These cars are pretty stable at highspeed.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Oliver B
1st Gear

I had the same problem. Try the aerokit (or equal) front lip, this is how i´ve fixed the problem. Maybe others TT owners aren´t that scary
Old 10-22-2006, 02:52 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Ditto everyone else. My car has spent more time above 110 MPH than below it.

The 996 is very sensitive to alignment. You will see a lot more discussion of this on the GT2/GT3 board but it is no less true for our Turbos. They usually come from the factory incorrectly aligned and the alignments often change again in the first few miles. Mine would initially give me snap-oversteer when driven hard on the track. PAG aligned it themselves in Stuttgart and since then it has been perfect.

So you need the alignment checked by someone who has good equipment and is going to take the time to do it right.

Oh, and yes, tyre pressures are important. If you've been running that tyre at 19 psi then be careful. Low pressures will damage the sidewalls and they can later go unexpectedly. Ask me how I know...

Stephen

Old 10-22-2006, 07:20 PM
live2shift
Advanced

A slow leaking tire sure caught me by suprize!
Old 10-22-2006, 11:01 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

WOW! going over 100 mph and not checking tire pressures??? Guess that just doesnt happen to guys that go to the track to drive above the speed limit cause we are so trained to constantly keep proper tire pressure. Was the 19 pounds cold or hot? Lucky you didnt kill yourself or someone else!
Not trying to be a buzz kill but if you are going to drive a high performance car fast maybe it should be properly teched and driven on a track so when you do blow a tire you will only hurt other people that have signed the waiver.
Glad you solved your problem, hope this may make you actually consider checking your brake pads and even getting the fluid flushed once in a while!

Oh, and since you are new here, please dont get your feeling hurt when people offer constructive criticism. ( I say that as a preemptively)

tom
Old 10-24-2006, 12:00 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As an FYI......

Fastest observed speed I have been able to hit (due to distance limits)
was 152mph on my speedo, but the GPS showed I had only hit 143mph.

Obviously the speedo's can read very optomistically....below 100mph, the difference is close to 5mph, so the faster I go, the further off the car's speedo.

Also the car seemed very stable (99-N/A 996)
Old 10-24-2006, 01:13 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

All modern Porsche speedos are 10% optimistic to 100 km/h and then a flat 10 km/h to top speed.

Germany's TUV requires that the speed not read low. The industry put there heads together and agreed standards for speedo error. And guess what, the limit is 10% to 100 km/h and then a flat 10 km/h. Porsche has calibrated its speeds to take maximum advantage of this allowed error.

Speed sells Porsches. Even fraudulant speed sells Porsches.

Stephen
Old 10-24-2006, 01:21 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine is only off by 2.5 miles an hour at any speed; confirmed by a Racelogic GPS.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:28 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FixedWing
All modern Porsche speedos are 10% optimistic to 100 km/h and then a flat 10 km/h to top speed.

Germany's TUV requires that the speed not read low. The industry put there heads together and agreed standards for speedo error. And guess what, the limit is 10% to 100 km/h and then a flat 10 km/h. Porsche has calibrated its speeds to take maximum advantage of this allowed error.

Speed sells Porsches. Even fraudulant speed sells Porsches.

Stephen
I knew motorcycles were like this, I had my 190mhp speedo pegged &
the GPS only read 161mph....I had re-gearded it, though.

Quick Reply: Light Front End over 110