Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber hood???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 11:05 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Carbon fiber hood???

Anyone know where I can get a carbon fiber hood for the 2001 996 Turbo?
Old 11-24-2002, 11:18 PM
ploglet
Pro

Any ideas on what the costs are for the carbon fiber hood?
Old 11-24-2002, 11:29 PM
skaria
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just saw an ad for this in the latest Panorama.

Performance Products
CF Hood for 996 TT, $799.95
* 20 lbs lighter
* don't know if you can paint it though
(800) 789-1959
<a href="http://www.performanceproducts.com" target="_blank">http://www.performanceproducts.com</a>
Old 11-24-2002, 11:44 PM
GlobeTrotter
Track Day

Are carbon fiber hoods hazardous because in a collision, the hood doesn't bend, instead it shatters into several large pieces which could easily penetrate the passenger cabin via the windshield?

[quote]Originally posted by ploglet:
<strong>Anyone know where I can get a carbon fiber hood for the 2001 996 Turbo?</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 11-25-2002, 12:00 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
I have yet to see a nice fitting CF hood for the 996tt. Every one that I've seen so far do not fit correctly. They all deviate along the edges and quite frankly just look crappy. I have seen a few that had been painted and the finish is not even due to the imperfection of the CF (structually).
Old 11-25-2002, 12:04 AM
ploglet
Pro

What are the costs for metal 996T hoods? Any recommended place to get one? Would rather get a cf one but am not against getting another metal one.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:36 AM
Pete.
Banned

[quote]Originally posted by ploglet:
<strong>Anyone know where I can get a carbon fiber hood for the 2001 996 Turbo?</strong><hr></blockquote>

What are the perceived benefits of a carbon fiber hood?
Old 11-25-2002, 01:17 AM
ploglet
Pro

I would assume lighter but other than that I am not sure. Stronger in some ways...any other comments?
Old 11-25-2002, 08:37 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
The principal benefit of a carbon fiber hood is weight reduction, perhaps as much as 20+ pounds. If a hood on a particular vehicle is a structural component (on a Porsche it is generally not), carbon fiber can also provide increased rigidity over steel and even more so over aluminum.

As to quality, the ones I have seen are of poor quality -- fit, construction and ability to be painted with minimal preparation (I know of one instance wherein a purchaser decided to go with the less than a thousand dollar version and paid almost an additional three thousand dollars to have the piece prepped and painted to the standard of standard Porsche body panels -- and it still never fit well as the original mold was not an accurate reproduction).

In fact, to make a truly first class hood, one would start with an aluminum mold which would entail several steps including scanning in an original metal hood with a sophisticated and expensive machine (preferably photo scanning) or obtaining CAD files from the hood manufacturer, obtaining two aluminum billets somewhat larger than the hood and weighing in excess of 500 pounds each and using a five axis computer driven milling machine to produce the molds. Thereafter, the additional work that would be required vis-a-vis the molds, the cutting and laying up of the carbon fiber, etc., etc., are all essential to the production of a superior piece. The question, of course, is would you be willing to pay approximately $3000 (perhaps a few hundred dollars less) for a truly beautiful and light hood?
Old 11-25-2002, 09:22 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

From what I've seen, fibreglass is only appropriate for converting a street car to track use where one could care less about looks.

I disagree somewhat with the others here on how it looks. For a track car and for viewing from afar it is fine. But when you get up close it is obvious and if you want a show car or a really nice looking street car then it isn’t the way to go. But that rough-n-ready look kind of goes with a track car (which is usually stripped inside and painted white anyway).

In addition to the hood, it is also possible to replace the doors but then you give up on the fancy windows which wind down when you open the doors and you need to engineer some other sort of mechanism (probably sealed windows with a little scoop for paying tolls though). I would only consider doing this on a car with a full welded cage as you probably also loose the side impact protection.

I also suspect that replacing the rear glass and the small windows behind the doors with plastic will save you a lot more weight than will replacing the front luggage compartment cover. Though these will scratch over time.

But when you consider how obesely heavy the stock 996 is, none of this comes close to the diet that it really needs to be put on.

I thought GlobeTrotter's question about the risk of the fibreglass shattering and penetrating the windscreen a really good one. I don't know the answer. I've not seen it happen but maybe it could. I would guess that the windscreen should be able to prevent this happening but who knows?

S.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:55 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Kevlar is heavier than carbon fiber and less expensive. On the other hand, it is more tear/crack resistant. An effective combination of carbon fiber with a bit of Kevlar might be appropriate for a good hood.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:58 AM
ploglet
Pro

Well basically what I am looking for is a replacement. I need a new hood, dont ask, and I thought I would get a cf hood but now it sounds like I should go and get another metal hood to replace the "dented" one. Any thoughts on where I should go to get a new hood.
Thanks.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:18 AM
MeanRex
Advanced

actually kevlar is LIGHTER than carbon fiber.
In the solid form (with epoxies on it) it's not even close to as impenetrable as in its cloth form however you didnt mention that, just a little fact.
The thing about kevlar is that it is not as good for structural pieces. CF is stronger in that way
Old 04-20-2004, 04:55 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Hi Guys,
I can chime in here, as I just installed the Gemballa Cabon/Kevlar 993 style hood on my 996TT. It is currently at paint so I do not have any photos yet, but I can tell you a bit about it.
Specs:
14LBS (Stock was 32)
Fit=OK, not great but not terrible, paid $500 for fit and paint
Price-Retail is $2695
If you have any other questions about it let me know, and I will have pics up as soon as I get it back from the body shop (might not be able to snap pics untill after Rennsport).
Old 04-22-2004, 12:17 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are several pics of mine:

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber hood???