DE helmet preferences/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002 | 09:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Question DE helmet preferences/opinions

Looking to buy a new helmet, primarily for DE.

Wondering for closed cockpit/coupe driving if people prefer open faced helmets vs closed face helmets.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2002 | 10:15 PM
VS
Instructor

Itc,
You can get a wide eyeport close face helmet. It offers protection for your face and lets you breathe at the same time

If you are buying a helmet for yourself, get the maximum protection -> close face.
If you are buying it to please the event organisers, get the least annoying one -> open face.

Your call.
Old 07-23-2002 | 12:55 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Question

I'd have to check our rules, but I think we requie either a full face or eye protection. I have a full face, but used to autox it with the visor open until I got stuff in my eye one time. Now I always keep it closed. Protect your eyes, you only have one set.
Old 07-27-2002 | 11:31 AM
Steve N.
Racer

I have a Simson closed face design with a wide eyeport as discussed in the posts - it is very comfortable and functional. I believe I ordered it from OG Racing, <a href="http://www.ogracing.com." target="_blank">www.ogracing.com.</a>
Old 07-27-2002 | 10:07 PM
Jeff C
Advanced

Check out <a href="http://www.helmetcity.com" target="_blank">www.helmetcity.com</a>
Good prices and a nice guy. The Bell M2 is very popular as it has the wider eye port and is inexpensive. When I ordered a two years ago the M2 was backordered nationwide. Ended up getting the Bieffe Integral GT. I like it a lot but will not be able to use it if I ever run in an open car as it has no face shield. Just be sure you get the correct size and that it is SA2000.
Old 07-28-2002 | 11:46 AM
Steve N.
Racer

Checked out the helmet city web site - looks like they have a great selection. My helmet is a Simpson Voyager, Kevlar shell with Nomex liner. The Voyager provides a large eye port
area much like the Bell M2 mentioned in the previous post.
Old 07-29-2002 | 02:10 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Also, be sure to check the face shield. Some of them are pretty thin and won't give any worthwhile protection from objects penetrating. You can get a high quality heavy-duty tinted face shield for cheap.

Quick Reply: DE helmet preferences/opinions