Sponsored by:

Aftermarket ignition systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Bob M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Aftermarket ignition systems

Are any of you running any of the aftermarket ignition systems on your cars? I am thinking about trying an MSD ignition system, but would like to know what I might be getting into both pro and con before I do it. From what I have read, this might be a way to get a few more hp out of my unichip, BMC, Fabspeed setup.

Bob
Old 06-01-2003, 11:21 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bob,
You have ignition coils over each spark plug. So unless MSD made an individual coil pac for each plug you can't change the ignition. Even if they did I am not sure I would want it or it would be better than the factory setup.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:30 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most newer cars with the individual coil for each plug are excellent and don't need improvement. If you have an older "conventional" single coil/ distributor ignition the MSD is excellent. Seeing a disconnected spark plug wire produce about 15 individual arcs over a 2 inch gap is impressive. They do sometimes have issues with arcing inside the distributor cap or through any flaw in the wires. They also sometimes need an adapter for the tach to work properly.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:16 PM
Bob M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. It sure sounded promising from the description given on the website.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket ignition systems