Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 996 GT3 Calipers question ** UPDATE **

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 03:03 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah RIGHT ON, that price is cheaper than big reds which are 289. I mean holy cow, I was gonna hold ogg on teh brakes since i wanted something better than the big reds and i thought the cost would be outrageous, but this is amazing, Ill put one on order right now.
Now are these mono block? can they be used with the ceramic rotors?
are these the same as the 996tt or GT2?
Old 06-18-2002, 09:03 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
The six piston front calipers are what Porsche calls monobloc, i.e., a one piece casting. They are the identical, radial mounted ones used on the Type 996 GT2 street car (which are different from the 4 piston front calipers currently found on the "regular" Type 996 Twin Turbo street car) and contain ceramic inserts in the pistons and, as such, could be used with the carbon ceramic disks. On the other hand, please note that while the carbon ceramic disks are a brilliant idea, and appear to be the future of high end street car braking (with, by next year, at least four systems being available, Porsche, BMW, Brembo and Mercedes), the disks, while showing virtually no wear even after 300,000 km (186,411 miles) street miles, are not yet perfected for the extreme heat generated by racing, i.e., from in excess of 500º C (932º F) to in excess of 800º C (1472º F). I do, however, believe that this problem is solvable and will be solved within the next year.

Lastly, please note that the prices listed above do not include the adaptors required for certain applications (which, if they had to be specially made in only a quantity of 2, might cost between $150 and $350 for a pair, between 158.29 EURO and 369.36 EURO) and or the cost of the pads which might cost $270 (284.62 EURO) for a set of 4 (2 per caliper).
Old 06-18-2002, 10:14 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob,

Please clarify one thing for me ...

Is it correct that the red 6-piston calipers used by Porsche on the GT2 when they had a shortage of ceramic rotors are exactly the same as the yellow 6-piston calipers on the GT2 used with the ceramic rotors?

If so, then am I right that it would be a relatively easy task to upgrade a car to these calipers now and then when the availability of cermic rotors was better to then install the ceramic rotors without having to change to a different set of calipers?

Also, I've seen mention of a number of different pads. Am I correct in assuming that all of these pads are intended for steel rotors and not for ceramic rotors?

It is interesting that Porsche has priced these parts so cheaply. A mistake???

Happy landings!

S.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:28 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Lavigne:
<strong>
Konstantin, any idea if these '02 996 Cup front calipers and rotors could fit any 944/951/968 spindles/hubs? Alternatively, do you know of any adapters available which would make this work?</strong><hr></blockquote>

it fits the 951 with custom adapters

Konstantin
Old 06-18-2002, 10:33 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

the prices that I got are different. 350 EUR for teh caliper 500 EUR for teh rotors directly from Porsche Motorport.
I guess either the parts in the USA are cheaper or you have the wrong prices or teh right prices for teh wrong part number.
Maybe they are Brembo and not Porsche original!!!

No pistons seals and there fore NOT for Street use?
Also teh Price on rotors is 50% in the USA??
I can not believe this.

why should a 6 Pot Gt2 Caliper be chepaer than a 944 caliper?

if so I would buy the parts in the USA but don't forget you have to pay shipping, tax and anoth 16-21 % VAT in Europe.

Konstantin
Old 06-18-2002, 10:41 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

I cannot explain pricing. I did, however, check the prices and the part numbers. It should be noted, however, that, in relative terms, the prices of Porsche cars today is less than in 1992 -- modern production and cost containment methods have apparently worked! Bravo Herr Dr. Ing. Wiedeking. Finally, the prices I received were for Porsche parts not from Brembo although, as you know, Brembo makes the calipers. By the way, which team are you with?

P.S. I also checked with a Porsche retail car dealer and the full retail price of the calipers in the U.S.is approximately $350 (369.15 EURO). Usually, however, that price is discounted 10% to 20%. In any event, be it $270 or $350, the caliper is well priced.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:02 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

I have been informed that the new 6 piston front Cup Calipers have dust seals.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:22 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by Konstantin:
<strong>

it fits the 951 with custom adapters

Konstantin</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay, do you mean one off custom adapters, or would the big red adapters work? Also, would the rotors fit the hubs or would you need different rotors with custom (big red?) hats?
Old 06-18-2002, 05:01 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Re Fixed Wing's questions:

1. I am not aware that any of the Type 996 GT2 street cars were equipped with calipers painted red. My information is that even the early ones had yellow calipers, albeit with metal rotors.
2. The red calipers are used on the Cup Cars.
3. The calipers described above in this series of postings are yellow and can be used with the carbon ceramic disks of the Type 996 GT2 street car.
4. The rear 4 piston calipers of the present Type 996 Cup Cars are painted red and are not compatible with the metal or the carbon ceramic disks of the Type 996 GT2 street car because such car uses rear rotors larger than those of the Cup Cars. If you have the red 4 piston calipers of the Cup Cars and wish to use the disks of the GT2, you will be required to change to the 4 piston yellow caliper of the GT2.
5. The pads that are used with the GT2 and metal or the carbon ceramic disks are the P90 and the harder (but more noisy) P40 – both proprietary Porsche compounds made by Pagid. If you wish an even better (but louder) endurance pad, I would suggest the Pagid RS 19.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:20 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Robert Linton:
<strong>5. The pads that are used with the GT2 and metal or the carbon ceramic disks are the P90 and the harder (but more noisy) P40 – both proprietary Porsche compounds made by Pagid. If you wish an even better (but louder) endurance pad, I would suggest the Pagid RS 19.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you Robert. You have just managed to pop another missconseption of mine -- that the ceramic rotors have different pads to the steel rotors. I have always thought (and I think even read) that the ceramic rotors required the use of "steel" brake pads. Obviously they are identical. So will they wear at about the same rate?

I must have been mistaken about seeing red calipers on the GT2 but I swear I have. Maybe they were Cup car calipers? Every time I have seen this it has been at a track somewhere or other so this must be a possibility.

Thanx for all of the great info.

S.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:47 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Hey does anyone know who will be stocking these? I called the local dealer but they arent much help all they said was, you pre pay, then wait.(whoo hoo)
also, can the hats be had separate from the rotors?
Old 06-19-2002, 02:02 PM
Hunter
Advanced

Hello!

Well, try <a href="http://www.movit.de" target="_blank">www.movit.de</a> maybe they have them in stock but in very much different (more expensive) prices...This rotors are one piece assembly and they cannot be seperated hub/rotor...Also that you have to prepaid them (if you order from a Porsche delaer) is correct too.Back order are up to 3 motnhs ,but in summer months usually one more month is added : total 4 months...

In what car you want to install them ?

Rgds,
Old 06-19-2002, 02:09 PM
Hunter
Advanced

Hello !

ATTN : Robert Linton & Konstantin

I was talk with Porsche Motosport (DE) today and they explain me the following :

a) VAT in Germany is 16% in Greece 18% in USA it was not added VAT!

b) Shipping and handling charges from Porsche HeadQuarters (DE) to Greece is 5% and it was added to the total price of any item.

c) Porsche Motosport USA has different prices (lower) just for marketing reasons!

Rgds,
Jim
Old 06-19-2002, 07:05 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by Hunter:
<strong>Hello !

a) VAT in Germany is 16% in Greece 18% in USA it was not added VAT!
Rgds,
Jim</strong><hr></blockquote>

still the US price is much lower than the 16% VAT that you pay in Geramny. The rotors are 50% cheaper. Thats a lot just for marketing reason!

@Robert Linton: the curent cup cars have yellow calipers not red.

Konstantin
Old 06-19-2002, 07:07 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

<a href="http://www.968Turbo.de/cupcarsforsale/cupcarsforsale2002.html" target="_blank">http://www.968Turbo.de/cupcarsforsale/cupcarsforsale2002.html</a>

yellow calipers on the 2002 cup cars

Konstantin

Quick Reply: 2001 996 GT3 Calipers question ** UPDATE **