Sponsored by:

V1 visor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 09:58 AM
ypshan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face V1 visor mount?

Where do you guys mount your V1 (the un-concealed one)?

Middle of the winshield or visor?

I tried the visor and found that the visor angles the V1 so it's staring down toward the ground in the front instead of level. I managed to add a couple of pieces of Felt Gard to the clip to make it level. I am wondering if you have a better way?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:51 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
This is not in the 993 but I have all my head units (inc 993) mounted about the same......I use the Val 'slide shoe' (normally used w/suction cups)....remove all suction cup garbage....with 2 small screws & retapped holes, screw shoe to top edge of windscreen surround (through rubber, if removed, you can not find the holes)....Val slides forward to be a level w/front top pushing against glass as it should........all wires concealed (inc remote) all hardwired, power on ignition........head unit is solid.....can not be seen from outside of vehical.....I run with my visors down always........Val is high & excellent reception left right front back.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:01 PM
ypshan
Instructor

That is much better than the visor clip!! Thanks GreggT. Even when I use the suction cups to temporarily mount it at the same place, it has much better vision and stability.

Did you open the sun roof control to tap the wires? If so, can you tell me which ones?

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:06 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

For power..no, on all 3 late model Pcars I've Val wired, I tapped into the wire harness down in the center counsel (right of gas pedal)......procedure was 1st described in a hack by Berkley Johnston (Boxster Board).....works to this day & his instucts are still on line.
Sorry for the 993 reference in my post....I must have been out to lunch & thought I was in the 993 Board at the time.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:20 AM
ypshan
Instructor

I finally finished doing mine. May have found an easier way to tap the wire.

You can easily open the cover of the sun roof/light control cluster (described in the Owner's Manual p. 120 for 2002 version). Once you are in, there are 4 wires that are wrapped together. The green one with a red line on it is the one.

Also you need to use longer screws so they can reach the rubber seal.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:25 AM
bigsky
Instructor

GreggT,
I like the way you mounted your V-1, I thought I would give it a try.My headliner ('02 tt) comes right up to the windshield without a visible metal surround. Your picture looks like leather headliner mine is alcantra (stock). Am I missing something or is yours an upgrade? The only possible mounting point I can find is the attachemnet for the sun visor clip. I like the location and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-14-2003, 02:53 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by bigsky:
<strong>Your picture looks like leather headliner mine is alcantra (stock). Am I missing something or is yours an upgrade? The only possible mounting point I can find is the attachemnet for the sun visor clip. I like the location and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Rob.........I'll try to get another pic for you, no doubt the 993 surround is dif than the 996 and, as mentioned, my post was mistakenly refering to the 993. I have done this mount however on both the 02 C4cab & the 01 turbo(pictured).....I'll see if I have another pic that would help ya.

Quick Reply: V1 visor mount?