Sponsored by:

Cool pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 02:09 PM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John D. came down hard on the entire off-topic board, basically threatening to remove it if things didn't get more civil. Kids do cruise these boards so trying to keep things on a g or PG level is appropriate.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:15 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by DarioTexas
I bit feisty are we ... slow down, I think you went from nothing to an extreme ... you shouldn't call out a fellow board member, then tell him to go do it better somewhere else...
Hi,

I am SO SORRY for the delayed reply to your post, but I’ve been a “tad” busy over the past week….

Anyway – in short, I am in violent disagreement with you. Keep reading…..

In today’s world – there are two types of websites – “successful” sites and ones that fail after a “flashy” start. I call the flashy sites as the “flash in the pan” site. Hmmm – let me define these for you, and use a “Porsche” site as a moniker for these descriptions. I will use one site, by name as an example – and other, as “nameless”. You are free to enjoin any analogies you would like.

Today, the “successful” site sees a need, or an unfulfilled area. The website owner has the credibility and the acknowledge presence to execute on that proposition. Certainly within Rennlist. Loren, with Renntech – has such a “presence” and following to be successful, and certainly have my support - as do folks like Viken, Steve Weiner, Skip and Jason at Paragon Robin, John Larson and several others that pop instantly to mind. They have developed their own following, shared their expertise, assisted others – and view their site as an adjunct to what is available on the Internet. These folks have developed their own following, they have “invested their time” and expertise in building a community and a loyal group of followers. I wish folks, like Loren at renntech.org – every success and hopes for continued success.

Now for the “flash in the pan” sites. Typically – they are offered from folks who think they can “do it better”, or they “know how”, or well – whatever. In the past six years, I’ve seen dozens of them start – and then fall away. What these folks forgot is that the web site isn’t “them”, it’s about the users, members, community, users and visitors. Oh sure – they SPAM for new folks to visit their sites. They will post private messages to have folks post their posts from Rennlist (or Funcarsonline or Pelican) - to their “new site”. They will “privately” ask the Moderators from the established sites to moderate their “new” Forums and contribute to content (all of this, they believe is “in secret”). As well - they will solicit an existing web site Sponsors to “support” their site, at no cost – as they need the “image” of a funded site. But, bottom line - it is “smoke and mirrors”. One’s “perception” certainly is not reality.

And after 6 years of doing this “Internet thing” – not one “flash in the pan” website has succeeded. I’d tell you why, IMNSHO they fail in more detail– but I won’t.

Yea – I’ve seen both. And yet – never once, have I seen a “flash in the pan” site succeed. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I don’t think so…. Renntech will do well – the “flash in the pan” sites will probably die and wither, as throwing money at the problem isn’t the answer. It isn’t a consideration. In fact – it’s pretty stupid business proposition.

So Rennlist continues, Funcarsonline contines, Pelican continues - as I know Chris, Wayne (and maybe even I) have “earned” your respect – we didn’t “buy” it – we “earned” it.. I suspect sites like Renntech.org, with Loren will flourish as well – he has certainly paid his dues by “earning” your respect..

For that:

The “flash in the pan” sites have yet to figure out it’s about the community. An established community. One where “word of mouth” is more valuable then they can “throw money at”. It can't be bought. It can’t be SPAMMED in an effort to build “their new site”. It can’t be “sold”. It really can’t be replicated through “features, functions and cool words”. A successful site exists because the “community” has built it – not from one webmaster or one or three owners demand it “be so”.

In short – it simply exists because, through the years – sites like Rennlist, Funcarsonline and Pelican dared to build a “sticky” community – and have just “done what we have done” for years. And the members, users, and site visitors – who added their content, forged it into places that are special. And you can’t “cookie stamp” that – no matter how hard one tries or money that is spent in the effort.

Oh – and this is the “short version” after managing, owning, operating this site for 6 years. And for that – I still have my “real job” to assist with its operational costs.

Ask my opinion sometime…..
Old 07-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

Thank you for the kind words...
As I have said before RennTech.org is not about wanting or getting all the Porsche board traffic. We see ourselves as a compliment to the already existing Porsche boards and especially Rennlist. We are specialized... we are a place for folks that need to find technical solutions -- all in one place. Rather than answering a question 3 or 4, or 10 times via email or on several boards I decided to build a repository of this kind of information.

I've tried to put together a team of very experienced moderators that I have had extended email and board conversations with... and many have had the same desires I had for a technical site. Some are old-timers that have owned Porsches for 25 years or more, some are racers and some are lawyers that have a passion for Porsches (Boxster guy Tool Pants).

Again, my goal with RennTech.org is NOT to compete with or replace any of the other boards but to offer folks a place where the content is primarily technical stuff -- perhaps a "Porsche techie site". This little adventure for me is not a business or money making idea just a place for the Porsche Techie to share. AND, most certainly RennTech.org would not exist without the "original" Porsche forum -- Rennlist, or without desire and support of Rennlist users for more technical information.

Thanks to John, Rennlist is still the best and most comprehensive site available for all Porsche enthusiasts worldwide!

(as always I am still a Rennlist user and contributor)

Last edited by Loren; 07-19-2003 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Cool pics