Sponsored by:

Navigation install ?? anyone`??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Maxxr1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation install ?? anyone`??

I was interested in installing an aftermarket nav system. Has anyone had any experince with navi installs, anything i should know, and which unit would be recommended for an 02 turbo 996. thx in advance
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The MY02 vehicles are analog (copper wire) based infotainment systems; any good stereo installer can upgrade all aspects of the system (amplifier, headunit, etc).

MY03+ are all MOST (plastic fiber optic) based infotainment devices; MUCH harder to upgrade....you end up replacing lots of modules.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:45 PM
tjj7ff
Intermediate

I put a Pioneer AVIC D1 in my 03 C4S then pulled in out in put it in my 03 TT when I sold the C4S. There were no problems with either installation, no additional modules to purchase. The MOST system was simply bypassed. All original wiring was left intact. The Bose speakers excluding the sub woofers on the rear deck drive off the head unit, which has an output of 50 watts/channel. I installed a 300 watt sub woofer amp to drive the woofers. It fit nicely where the CD disk changer was located in the boot. The system sounds awesome with a very clear/crisp penetrating sound. The 300 watt amp drives the sub woofers extremely well. I also installed the optional ipod accessory (this is why I purchased the AVIC unit in the first place), which has CD quality sound. The ipod is hooked up to its wiring in the glove box, which is out of sight and possible thieves. The nav unit is easy to use. The only drawback is that you have to come to a complete stop to program a destination due to the gyroscope that's in the head unit. The AVIC also give you speed, G-force, lateral angles, turning angles, and a bunch of other readings that's fun to use on auto-cross and track days. I also installed an XM satellite module, which also works great. The nice thing about this install is that you can take the system back to the original Porsche radio/CD player without much hassle at all. If your going to go this route I would suggest looking at the newer model AVIC systems or other top of the line systems. When you evaluate the different systems look at the functionality that you get on the touch screen for the ipod, satellite radio, etc... - some of the systems have more functions then others. You can go with either a single or double din unit depending on your preference. If you go with a double din unit and later decide to remove it and replace it with the original equipment you will need to purchase the plastic mount that the original radio and A/C unit mounts into as you will have to remove the plastic cross brace in the center of the mount that supports the radio/CD in order for the double din unit fit. This piece runs about $60 from Porsche. You will also have to purchase a piece of plastic trim from Porsche that goes around the A/C unit, which you will need to drop down to the lowest opening on the dash if you go with the double din unit. This runs about $20. Good luck. Tim
Old 09-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Maxxr1
AutoX

thx for the info. : )

Quick Reply: Navigation install ?? anyone`??