my car feels floaty at 120mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 08:56 AM
dazren
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pratt.

Are you in the US?

If you are, I remember reading a running report (in 911 & Porsche World Magazine) from an American with a 996tt. He had retrospectively installed the european suspension to his car as the American spec car had higher suspension. This may or may not be relevant to your car. Either way a visit to your local Porsche dealer is in order, also try borrowing another 996 and take it down the same section of road at the same speed.

I have driven my car right around to 6,700 revs in sixth on german autobahn and can confirm that my car (no aerokit) on a good road surface was steady as a rock. In fact the first time I did it I questioned why Porsche bothered with the big fixed spoiler on the GT2!!! Then I remembered they've got to do 180 around corners.

DAZ
(First post)
RHD 02 996tt X50, occasional visitor to Nurburg.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:58 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem with lowering the front is the fact that it's pretty damn low as it is. You have to pull into most driveways pretty slow if you want to avoid scraping the front. You start losing that vaunted "practical supercar" quality if maximum speed on driveway entrances is 5 mph.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:24 AM
pratt
Intermediate

yes I am in us, and I will have my dealer check out car. I use my car as a daily driver and my office has a steep driveway. I am afraid to lower the car because I might leave part of it on the pavement
Old 07-16-2003, 09:35 AM
JulesL
Cruisin'

That floaty feeling is the turbulence from the airflow separation at the rear window slope and wing separation, In "the" case with the ROW suspension it feels more like a wiggle and a Porsche tech who was over our end of the pond told a friend to be cool: punch through another 10mph and voila in the tt is goes away at about 145, and in the GT3 the wiggle comes in AT 145 but at 160mph it gets eerily silent, and the vehicle feels like its stuck to the tarmac. Offcourse I wasnt driving myself, wasnt even there ; )>... there resistance is futile.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:58 AM
JulesL
Cruisin'

Default cigars

and since cigars are a common interest, from our end of the pond Don Juan Urquijos- robustos good value for money, also the petite coronas. For single malts I lean towards Siglo IV's and Ramon Allones double coronas, on the lighter side, with a claret or vintage port Davidoffs Anniversario No.2 after a large meal, or Grand Cru no. 1, and actually as i type am partaking of a Romeo and Juliet deluxe no. 2 petite corona with of all things cold sake.. cheers.. ahhhh resistance IS futile.... btw get my Havanas in Geneve at GERARD et fils NOGA HILTON..great people...primo stock..
Old 07-16-2003, 11:09 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by JulesL
That floaty feeling is the turbulence from the airflow separation at the rear window slope and wing separation, In "the" case with the ROW suspension it feels more like a wiggle and a Porsche tech who was over our end of the pond told a friend to be cool: punch through another 10mph and voila in the tt is goes away at about 145,
Eh, not the one I was driving. It got worse, not better.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:54 AM
JulesL
Cruisin'

Default wiggle

If it got worse then i would check the wheels are they balanced, are they damaged, the tires, are all of the same thread depth and are they all in good conditon..then from there go do the full alignment camber and caster, settings it seems something is amiss or awry in that area.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

my gt2 suffers from linearally increasing hunting as i go above 145. rick perkins, PCNA honcho grande, tells me they de-tune the cars for their US bozo drivers. my car is being tuned for speed by Dieter at Andial next week, and i'll report on the changes he makes, and results.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my piece of **** mildly modded 944 turbo actually feels like its getting sucked into the ground the faster I go. The car is dead steady and firm from 60mph all the way up to 165mph indicated.

If my 17 year old beater isn't floaty at 120mph then I suggest you take your $100,000 porsche back to the dealer and give them hell!!!! Something is wrong!

ps - can't wait to open up a 996tt someday - gorgeous cars!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:24 PM
boqueron
Pro

I have owned an M5 for 6 years and head before my present TT: 2 boxsters ( plain and "s" ) and a 996 C4. I usually drive at 200 km/h ( 115 miles/h) with the standart suspension. The car was bought in Germany so it has the german settings. NO FLOATING AT ALL. There is a substantial difference with my previous 996 C4 which "floated" more than my M5.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:23 PM
cobra06
Pro

Some people confuse floaty with the increased sensitivity to steering inputs at high speeds. 1/8'' of steering wheel motion at 130 does much more then at 60. Not to say that's what your experiencing but having had the TT up to the 165 range it was felt nicely stable to me.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:10 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

That's cos you've got mo' downforce with that wing... But seriously, I agree with Cobra06. The car felt stable to me up in the 180s... I've seen people drive in Germany at that speed in these cars on ze Autobahn, that's what they're designed to do.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:56 PM
drafting
Instructor

I've only had my new TT up to 150 mph twice thusfar in the last few days, but it felt rock(et) solid. This is straight from the factory, literally. The only thing that was non-nominal was the sweat on my palms during the high speed (for me) runs! Even when I ran over a few bumps (repairs) on the Autobahn road surface, the wheels were latched onto the road.

If you're feeling some weirdness, then get it checked out for sure. fwiw...

Jeff

Quick Reply: my car feels floaty at 120mph