Sponsored by:

Cargraphics wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 04:45 PM
jstephanus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cargraphics wheels??

What do folks here think of Cargraphic wheels in terms of fit/finish/weight/strength?

Thanks,

John
Old 07-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
The Cargraphics are on the heavy side. If you like the mesh look check out the HRE 540R's they are lighter in weight, and the mesh design is much nicer.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:41 PM
Hamann7
User

John, as you may know, Wilber had the Cargraphic wheels but he got rid of them.

HREs are nice wheels if that's your style.

But I think Work wheels from Japan are more my taste. First of all, a lot of people are getting HRE (especially with the polished finish), including the bling bling Escalades. Second, Work supplies most of the race teams in Japan. They have a lot of styles and finishes to choose from and the custom build to your offset like HRE. The wheels are also very light.

Only downside for Work is they take over a month to order and ship from Japan.

Another good alternative is the BBS LM ACQ (aircraft quality aluminum) wheel, but this is also a Japan market wheel.

With that said, Oak's HRE wheels are very very nice!

BTW John, is your car done with the Protomotive stuff yet?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:05 PM
AWD
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts
Cargraphics look spectacular on the car. They are forged, but are still in the 27-28lb. range. They are very sturdy wheels, and in my opinion, fit the 996tt very well.

Work Japan does make nice wheels, however, I don't think there Porsche applications include having 19 inch. I have imported a few sets previously, and it took about 2 months, and they were not custom made, they were off the shelf. Work is one of the few to offer gold as a color as well (which looks great on Porsche).

HRE is the best of both worlds...Looks and performance. HRE's standard finish is silver face with polished lip (Very far from "Bling, Bling") If you are into the "bling" factor, you can order them fully polished, chrome, etc. They aren't the lightest, but for forged wheels, 22/23lbs is not super heavy for 19". You can race with HRE's, and win shows with HRE's.

Also, I'm a huge fan of Volk Racing (mainly for racing) but I run them on the street as well, and they are the strongest suckers ever. I cannot believe that aren't bent, I've hit some mean potholes that usually bend wheels and they are perfect!
Old 07-01-2003, 10:06 PM
AWD
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW John,
Were you after 18" or 19"?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by AWD:
<strong>
HRE is the best of both worlds...Looks and performance. HRE's standard finish is silver face with polished lip (Very far from "Bling, Bling") If you are into the "bling" factor, you can order them fully polished, chrome, etc. They aren't the lightest, but for forged wheels, 22/23lbs is not super heavy for 19". You can race with HRE's, and win shows with HRE's.

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I agree with AWD, if your a stickler for fit and finish you can't go wrong with HRE. The finishes are superb. Personally, I don't think anyone comes close to the finish. The only down side is the wait, I waited around 4 months for my new set of 843's.

Everything is custom made, all the offsets can be ordered to millimeters. YOu can attain maximum offsets with out having to roll your fenders.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:35 PM
jim in cambridge
Track Day

Oak: I love the color of your car. Is it Polar or Arctic Silver? It seems to have a bluish hue, or is it just the lighting? I have an 04 tt in Polar Silver on order because they say this version od silver looks a bit blue.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Jim, Mine is just plain ol' Arctic Silver. I love the Polar Silver also. At the time I ordered mine, it was a 3 month minimum added to any colour to sample options. I had already waited 20 months to just order the turbo.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:29 AM
lee2375
Advanced

not all Work wheels can be built due to the PCD being to wide - most Work wheels have a max PCD of 120.65.

The one wheels that Work makes exclusively for the Porsche is called Brombacher, but it is 18" only.

My choice is with HRE also, but the Cargraphic is a VERY nice wheel. It can be ordered with or without the dummy centerlock cap, in case it's not your flavor.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:37 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

HRE's I think are the best wheels....Cargraphics are nice but I prefer the similar Gemballa ones or the Champion ones...My opinion pf course...It is a matter of taste after all.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:00 AM
03-C4S
Racer

Go with the 3-piece Champions, looks so sharp and tasteful. HRE's are never a bad choice either.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:01 AM
jstephanus
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys...here's the story. I have already bought a set of Fikse Profil 10's in 9.5 and 12x18. Need another set for second set of tires. Was thinking of something different, but actually wound up going with a second set of Fikses.

Hamann, Todd at Protomotive is nearly done...we are just waiting on some GT-2 rear wing bracketry basically. It should be a screemer. Have you seen it?

Thanks all,

John

Quick Reply: Cargraphics wheels??