Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start... battery is fine, creaking sound heard but engine isn't turning...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:59 PM
achilles99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start... battery is fine, creaking sound heard but engine isn't turning...

I've had my 996 turbo for less than a month, and it seems like I have issues with it every week. Is this normal?

This morning, I went out to crank it up. It didn't start. I heard a "creaking" sound when I turn the key, but the engine doesn't turn over at all. I know it's not the battery, since I just changed it (to be sure, I tried to jumpstart the car with no luck). Is there a starter relay or fuse somewhere? Power relay? Thanks!
Old 08-20-2006, 05:00 PM
achilles99
Instructor

Does anyone know where the starter relay or fuse is, or if it even exists? The clutch micro switch is being depressed, but for some reason the starter won't kick in. Battery is new, I even tried to jumpstart the car. Nothing happens.

Any ideas?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:40 PM
achilles99
Instructor

Just went back out to try to start the car again. The pedal is super hard to press, and the reservoir marked Pentosin (I'm guessing clutch fluid) is showing really high levels of fluid. Could this be part of the problem? Or is this because I've pressed the pedal too many times? SOMEONE please help! I have a bad feeling about this...

Last edited by achilles99; 08-20-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:13 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Default start problem

Did you jump it off like the manual says or jump from the battery? I don't know why they say to jump from the ebgine compartment but if you haven't tryed it that way try it. Sounds like a battery problem to me. If you have a volt meter check the batery from post to post and see if it has 12 volts.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Default start

The clutch will be fine as soon as it starts up..nothing to worry about there.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:37 PM
achilles99
Instructor

I jumped it from the back like the manual says, because the car is pointed in my garage that way. And, to make matters worse, yesterday was the FIRST day that I decided to park my car in the MIDDLE of the garage because my wife had taken the other car. So, I can't really access the front.

I'm pretty sure it's not the battery, though. I have 12 volts showing, and when I jumped it from the back posts the voltage went up to about 13 volts. I'm not even getting the normal "clicking" sound that happens with a low battery.

I thought it might be the clutch micro switch, but I put a voltmeter up to it. It reads 12 volts, and then 0 volts when the pedal is depressed. So, that looks fine.

My only other thought is a starter relay or something else that prevents the power from going to the starter motor. Any ideas?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Michael Ontic
Intermediate

It could be the clutch pedal engage (down) switch. Try really pushing the pedal thru the floor before cranking....either that or get under therre and bend the little metal arm to make sure it's making contact. MK
Old 08-20-2006, 08:51 PM
achilles99
Instructor

I've tried that... I even held the little arm down manually, and it didn't work. I checked the switch voltage, and it is 12v open and 0v shut, so it appears to be functioning. Any other ideas on why the starter motor isn't engaging?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

0v shut doesnt soudn right
unplug the 2 wires foir the switch its the small switch should be black the red or borwon one is not the start switch. jump the wires with a paperclip and try to start it.
to be honest it sounds like an imobilizer problem
Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
achilles99
Instructor

Which wires specifically do I need to unplug? I do remember seeing two wires coming from the clutch sensor, but the wires don't unplug...

It's 12 volts when open, and 0 volts when shut. I've tried starting the car in both positions, and nothing happens. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:07 PM
achilles99
Instructor

I've been thinking more about the imobilizer issue... when I turn the key to the "start" position, I do hear a small "click" by the key. That makes me want to believe that the ignition switch is working (or at least responding), and perhaps even the clutch switch. Is there a way to check if the imobilizer is working? I assumed that since I could lock/unlock the car that my car was OK.

Battery is full, and a jumpstart didn't work... otherwise, I would have thought my battery is dead. This is driving me crazy...
Old 08-21-2006, 11:04 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

ok if you look up at the clutch pedal theres a small black black box attached to the side of the pedal assy. it has a small metal lever on the top of it this is your clutch saftey switch. there should be 2 small seperate wires pluged into it they arent plugs just old fashinoned female spade conectors
un plug the conect the 2 with a paper clip (make sure your in neutral ebrake on please)
now try to start the car.

IF that doesnt work do u have a 2nd key to the vechile try the 2nd key. the empte and the imobilizer pill are seprate. the pill could go bad and remote stil function or vice versa
Old 08-21-2006, 11:31 PM
achilles99
Instructor

That doesn't sound like it would work, since I'm reading a voltage of 0v when the clutch switch is depressed. If I connect the two wires, wouldn't that mean I'm getting a 12 V signal, which is the same as if the switch WASN'T pressed?

I do have a second key that I tried, and it doesn't work.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:22 AM
achilles99
Instructor

Well, 99firehawk... you may have indirectly helped the cause! I unplugged the two wires, and connected them. Nothing happened. I then connected the two male spade ends that are attached to the sensor. Nothing happened.

So, I plugged the wires back in. I turned the key. The car started right up. I have NO idea why. I didn't change anything at all.

What do you guys think happened? I'm happy the car appears to start right up, but I'd like to know why in case it happens again. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:07 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

i would replace the switch its possibly ineraky shorted and thats why your losing voltage when you dperess the switch

Quick Reply: Car won't start... battery is fine, creaking sound heard but engine isn't turning...