Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 996TT -- DEM, Exhaust, PCM, Delivery Date, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002 | 04:32 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Thumbs up

I'm happy with Gunther's work on the Boxster S ECU. I got it through Paris Audio in LA where I shipped my ECU, Gunther came by and reprogrammed it and they sent it back to me. No check engines lights, idles smoothly and my wife can even get out of first gear now (I hear he bumps up the fuel delivery a bit in first gear but have no way to verify that).

Gas mileage has gone done a little, but I also tend to put my foot into it more since the ECU, Intake, Header install. I can't argue with 244.7 RWHP as it is the highest I know of out of any NA Boxster S.

The difference on the track is noticeable, I can keep up with 99-01 911's without difficulty, including on the straights. I haven't taken it out to run quarter mile times, but they are probably in the low to mid 13's based on performance against other cars.

Supposedly TTP is out of business now and Gunther got a lot of their old things and is taking them someplace else to set up shop, but I don't know the specifics of that, you might ask Jamey at Paris Audio in Beverley Hills for details. My headers are also TTP.

I don't know if I'll do anything more to the S or not, if I did it would have to be something more radical like dropping a 3.4 or 3.6 into it, supercharger or turbo and I'd prefer not to do the last two as no one seems to get good reliability out of either a supercharger or turbo on a Boxster.

The new 2003 Boxster S's get another 10HP courtesy of VarioCam "Plus". I let a half dozen Boxster and 996 owners drive my car this weekend during the tech event and without exception all of the Boxster S owners said that it was noticeably faster than their cars and everyone loves the sound coming from the EVO intake.

So yeah, I'm happy!
Old 07-01-2002 | 05:40 PM
Craig.
Racer

I just spoke to a guy in the biz and he reports that 2003s are being delivered to customers in Europe. He has a customer who just took delivery of a 2003 GT-2 in Europe.

Craig (L.A.)
Old 07-24-2002 | 08:47 PM
Dave F.
3rd Gear

Craig,
Just wanted to let you know that I received a call from my salesman today and he has been informed that I can now order the PCM2 and the X50 options. He is estimating a production build in September.
Old 07-24-2002 | 09:30 PM
Craig.
Racer

Thanks for the info Dave. My 03 TT is scheduled to be built in Aug and, with the backlog of 03 TT orders, I would slip back many months if I now insisted upon the PCM2. Additionally, while the PCM2 will likely be a significant improvement over the PCM, the advance info I've heard about the PCM2 is not thrilling (e.g., still cd based, no touch screen). Paris Audio is able to install an after-market Nav system flush in the dash that looks factory and is far superior to even PCM2. I'm currently leaning in that direction.

As to the X-50 option, adding it now would also involve significant delay in the receipt of my car. Moreover, I personally don't believe it is a good value in comparison to the after-market upgrade options (notwithstanding the benefit of ensuring no warranty problem). Based upon the information I have learned here, I have many mods planned to my forthcoming TT, including a Ruf exhaust, FVD ecu tune, TechArt coilover suspension and sway bars, HRE 540s (already gathering dust at Wheel Enhancements), Baily DVs, etc.

Thanks again for the update Dave. BTW, what dealer are you working with?

Craig (L.A.)
Old 07-24-2002 | 09:42 PM
Ibanez
Instructor

Is Paris Audi a dealer or a brand of Nav system? I am getting my '02 TT on Friday (revised date from shipper) and I really wanted Nav, but there were no US cars available that had the color and options I wanted so I got a car without Nav. I was thinking of adding an aftermarket DVD system like the Alpine one, but would love to have something that is integrated into the dash.
Old 07-24-2002 | 11:32 PM
Craig.
Racer

<a href="http://www.parisaudio.com/" target="_blank">Paris Audio</a> is a dealer/installer of after-market stereo, navigation and other products. They sell flush mount navigation systems from both Alpine and Kenwood. Their work is very clean. The flush mount Nav screens look like they came with the car. Jamey (of Paris Audio) has been in the industry for a long time and he is very knowledgeable -- he also owns a P-Car himself.

Craig (L.A.)
Old 07-25-2002 | 12:21 AM
Ibanez
Instructor

Are the flush mount systems proprietary systems? If not, what brands are they (ie; Alpine, etc.)? The only systems I have seen have separate screens so they definitely look like an afterthougt (this may be a topic for a new thread).

Quick Reply: 2003 996TT -- DEM, Exhaust, PCM, Delivery Date, Etc.