Sponsored by:

Break in period

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 09:33 PM
Bob M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Break in period

I am sorry if this subject has been beaten to death sometime before. But, I am new so I hope that you will go easy on me. I read TQLY's post about his new TT and JeffMD's advice to keep the RPM's under 4000 for the first 2500 miles. First, I am jealous TQLY that you have your new ride! Congratulations!! Mine, hopefully will arrive sometime this week and I'll post my own shaking in my boots impressions afterwards too. But, Jeff's reply got me curious. Just what is the consensus about proper break in period and break in technique. I was told by the dealer that it was 800 miles, to keep it under 4200 rpm and no cruise control. He also told me that every motor has been tested at readline for something like 4 or 5 minutes during a 40 minute test before the motor is installed in the car. And, he told me that maybe even more important than the motor, the brakes needed to be broken in -- to go easy on them for the first 800 miles or so, otherwise the pads would make noise. Obviously I want to do the right thing, so that I can maximize the performance and reliability of the car. Breaking in new motors is an interesting subject. When I helped to break in a new motor on the airplane I was flying, we needed to run it WFO for long peroids of time. For the boat I had, I was told to run it at full throttle for only short periods of time for the first 20 hours or so. And to make sure that I varied the RPM's quite abit. Back to the TT, the dealer told me that his experience was that people who avoided a constant easy load like cruise control would provide, and kept the rpm's below 4200 for the first 800 miles but did not baby it by occasionally running the rpm's above 4200 had better performing engines in the end.What do you think? Sorry this was such a long post.

Bob
Old 05-20-2002, 01:18 AM
RLM
Track Day

Here's what the Owner's Manual says:

Break in Hints for the first 2000 miles (3000 kilometers)

The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance for your new Porsche.

Despite the most modern, high-precision manufacturing methods, it cannot be completely avoided that the moving parts have to wear in with each other. This wearing-in occurs mainly in the first 2000 miles (3000 km).

Therefore:

> Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops. Change speeds frequently. Vary the throttle position to change the engine load.

> Do not exceed maximum engine speed of 4200 rpm.

> Do not run a cold engine at high rpm either in neutral or in gear.

> Do not let the engine labor, expecially when driving uphill. Shift to the next lower gear in time (use the most favorable rpm range).

> Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.

>Do not participate in motor racing events, sports driving schools, etc. during the first 2000 miles.

Other info on the Break In Page:

The may be a slight stiffness in the steering, gear-shifting or other controls during the break-in period which will gradually disappear.

Break in Brake Pads:

New brake pads and brake discs have to be "broken in", and therefore only attain optimal friction when the car has covered several hundred miles or km.
The slightly reduced braking ability must be compensated for by pressing the brake pedal harder. This also applies whenever the brake pads and brake disc are replaced.

New Tires:

New tires do not have maximum traction. They tend to be slippery.

> Break in new tires by driving at moderate speeds during the first 60 to 120 miles. Longer braking distances must be anticipated.

Engine Oil Consumption:

During the break-in period oil consumption may be higher than normal.

As always, the rate of oil consumption depends on the quality and viscosity of oil, the speed at which the engine is operated, the climate and road conditions, as well as the amount of dilution and oxidation of the lubricant.

> Make a habit of checking engine oil with every fuel filling, add if necessary.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:36 AM
NC Bob
Instructor

Congratulations on your incoming TT. You will absolutely love it. Took delivery of my '02 TT three weeks ago. Already have 1100 miles on it. Just can't seem to stay away from it.
Coincidentally, I ran into the regional Porsche factory rep two weeks ago and we discussed breakin. His philosophy is to take it easy for the first 5-600 miles. He then suggested that by running the engine up to 5500 rpm's and keeping it there for a few seconds in the lower gears, will accelerate the breakin period and will also seat the rings more efficiently.
As a caveat, he also mentioned that this should be done while observing the posted speed limits.
I posted this in the TT section of funcarsonline and received several negative comments. Most suggested that I adhere to the owners manual. When in doubt, the owners manual is the best practice, but I also take it up to 5-6000 rpms ocassionally.

Quick Reply: Break in period