Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper License Plate Hole "Plugs"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 01:13 AM
Jeff..
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front Bumper License Plate Hole "Plugs"?

I just took delivery of my 01 996TT. I do not plan to use a front license plate (even though one is required in Washington state).

Does anyone know a source for color matched "plugs" to fill the square holes in the front bumper (used for the license plate holder screws)? I was sure that I saw a 996TT with small circular, thin plugs in place of the ugly white plastic screw plugs that I'm told the car ships with from the factory.

thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-30-2001, 09:46 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Yup, you can get them from Eric in any color you want. I'm a satisfied customer. I bought some extra sets because front plates are required in VA, so I have to put mine on occasionally and have chipped the plugs pulling them out.

BumperPlugs.com
Old 08-30-2001, 10:09 AM
Tom Gripe
Advanced

Jeff, I have had two sets of bumper plugs. They are great. Pop right in. Look great.Color matches perfectly. A little expensive at about $20 but I love the look.
Old 08-30-2001, 12:39 PM
TexasTurbo
7th Gear

For what it's worth, the Porsche Store here in Dallas also stocks the bumper plugs from bumperplugs.com in a couple of different colors. They appear to be pretty popular.
Old 08-30-2001, 07:58 PM
Jeff Brown
3rd Gear

Hi Jeff,

I just took delivery of my 01 996TT this week as well. The first thing I did was put in bumper plugs. I also plan on driving around Washington without front plates. I wonder how long it will be before I'm caught.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:05 AM
Jeff..
3rd Gear

Thanks everyone - this is exactly the info that I was looking for!

Jeff
Old 08-31-2001, 05:34 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Jeff Brown:
<STRONG>I also plan on driving around Washington without front plates. I wonder how long it will be before I'm caught.</STRONG>
In VA the only time I've gotten a ticket for no front plate was when I was already pulled over for speeding and the cop walked around the car looking for other things he could write me for

I put the front plate on, took a picture of it, and took it to court. The prosecutor threw out the no front plate ticket.

Even if he hadn't the fine is minimal and there are no points associated with it, since it's not a moving violation.

Karl
Old 09-05-2001, 04:40 AM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jeff Brown:
<STRONG>I also plan on driving around Washington without front plates. I wonder how long it will be before I'm caught.</STRONG>
They don't normally bother unless you're stopped for something else and the cop either doesn't like you or is having a bad day and can't pin anything else on you.

I've never had a problem in either OR or WA. I just carry the front plate just in case but I haven't fitted a front plate for years and I've NEVER even had it mentioned. (I wish I could say the same about tickets ....)
Old 09-07-2001, 12:14 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts
Thanks guys. Email me if you run into any trouble or have questions about the plugs.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-07-2001, 07:19 AM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Eric - Plug Guy:
<STRONG>Email me if you run into any trouble or have questions about the plugs. </STRONG>
I bought these plugs for my '00 996 Cab and I'm delighted with the results. They are a PERFECT match and are complete invisible for all practical purposes.

Pretty spendy for what they are, but undeniably effective and I doub that creating your own & painting is worth the money that these cost.

Recommended.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper License Plate Hole "Plugs"?