Sponsored by:

HRE Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 03:07 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HRE Wheels...

I'm looking to fit a set of HRE 540 on my turbo. Can anyone tell me where I could find the best prices?

Thanks in Advance

Chris
Old 08-30-2001, 06:23 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Chris; These wheels are not widely distributed and you are going with a set for a low production automobile. Translation; not many opportunities to price shop for HRE. My advice would be to go direct to them and ask for specific fitment information on the Twin Turbo. I know they deal direct and I know they have a good knowledge base about a wide variety of cars. I have a friend who just purchased a set directly from them for his 840 Beemer.

I would be very cautious for a while about after market wheel sizing for the 996TT. Our cars have not been out long and I think there hasn't been a lot of time to build up a body of knowledge about them in the after market businesses.

My opinion is that most Porsche people would say; Fikse, HRE, Kinesis are the top of the line for wheels for our cars. I had a set of Fikse FM10's on my 993 and they were beautifully made and light. A European company called "Cargraphic" also makes wheels for our chassis as do Gemballa, RUF, and TechArt. I am sure that any of these would be quite good particularly if they are TUV.
Old 09-02-2001, 10:08 AM
Shank996TT
Racer

Arrow

Fair warning. HRE Makes great wheels, but if you're in a metropolitan area w/many speed potholes and rough roads, the HRE 3piece design is weak and will easily bend. RUF makes a monobloc 19" wheel (www.rufautomobile.com) that looks good. Gemballa also has a nice unidirectional 3piece cup style rim which is much stronger.
-My 2 cents
Ryan
Old 09-03-2001, 10:08 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

Ryan: Is it true, that 1 pc wheels are usually stronger than 2/3 pc wheels?

BTW, the Ruf wheel looks a bit on the conservative side...I like the Gemballa turbo twist looking wheel...but out of curiousity, what other characteristics make a great wheel...if strength isn't one of them? Is the HRE wheel light, cosmetics, etc?

Thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: HRE Wheels...