Sponsored by:

Clutch Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 03:15 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch Upgrade

I am interested in replacing the stcok clutch on my TT with a Sachs one. I know htat they have two (maybe more) versions and wanted to know if anyone here has tried any of them and how the daily drive feel is?? Durability?? Performance gains?? etc...
Old 04-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Paul V S
Advanced

Just wondering- why? Are you having problems with yours?
Old 04-11-2003, 03:59 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Not really - more of a performance thing. I have a GIAC ECU upgrade on order and sometimes the sock clutch can not handle the extra torque!
The stock dual mass flywheel is also really heavy - a lighter clutch means faster revving and acceleration form what I understand.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:03 PM
skaria
Advanced

I wouldn't spend the $$ until the clutch is actually an issue. I have 22000 miles on the OEM clutch with over 50 clutch drops at the 1/4 mile strip and quite a lot of aggressive shifts with no problem. I think the stock clutch can handle a lot.

I did have the Racer's Group base programmed UNICHIP for quite some time (took it out recently due to a dealer issue). It definitely was putting out much more power than stock for quite some time with no problems from the stock clutch.

As for the light weight flywheel, unless you are tracking the car, my advice is to stay clear. I have had them on other cars and I never liked the more lumpier idle and vibration introduced. Based on experience from other cars, I do not think it will give you any noticeable difference in acceleration times from a standing start.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:23 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
I have about a year & significant track time on the Sachs High Performance (or Motorsport) plate & disc.........generally satisfied.
This is not the puck clutch, ie it does have the organic lining.......they do have puck (seira metalic lining, but not really recomended for off track).
Like I say, my info & experience is about a year old.......you can call Sachs for info.....I did back then.
Good luck.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:32 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

CJV: what clutch do you have now??
Old 04-12-2003, 01:10 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts
Some vehicles with lightened flywheels may have stalling issues if the ECU is not able to compensate for the rapid rpm drop that occurs when you disengage the clutch coming to a stop .

Quick Reply: Clutch Upgrade