Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRG drop links & "knocking" noise???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 01:10 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TRG drop links & "knocking" noise???

Hi Guys...

I would like to ask a question of those who have the Racer's Group adj. drop links.

Does anyone get any wierd knocking sounds from the front end when going over rough road imperfection?

I have a combination of H&R coilovers with the GT3 bars & TRG adj drop links.

I was thinking this is due to the "lack" of rubber mounts of the TRG adj. links? Would the adj. Porsche motorsport links with rubber mounts help solve this problem?

Just checking to see before I drop another $500 bucks for drop links.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 09-08-2002, 09:19 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

That's what I suspected. I've had a number of dealer mechanics look at the car, and each had a different opinion. One said the drop links and the other said the spring.

cjv, knowing you've almost seen everything available for the 996tt, is there anything I can do to get rid of the noise?

How about some rubber tubing from Home Depot to isolate the individual coils?

Let me know if anyone else has any ideas

Chris
Old 09-08-2002, 04:41 PM
VS
Instructor

Chris,

I don't have that kind of a noise. The noise I had was a screaching kind: could hear it when turning the steering wheel. It came from the TRG droplinks: once the mechanic lubed them, the noise stopped - that's how I know for sure. So far so good but the guy told me not to hold my breath as he belived the noise would come back eventually

Regarding PMS droplinks: I bought them with the H&R coilovers and GT3 bars. They could not fit them in the front: too short. Remember, PMS's are made for the 2WD GT3R with the different front suspension geometry. The only reason why TRG droplinks fit so well on AWD Turbo is because they use a different mounting point compared to the stock/PSM ones. You will have to modify PMS's
to be able to use the same mounting point...
I ended up using them for the rear where they fit just fine.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:25 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Chris, When did you purchase the H&R coil overs? I beleive the sound you are experiencing maybe due to the front springs not having the plastic insulators installed. H&R had a batch of springs that were sent out on the market with out the insulators installed. I had a slight knocking sound, but once the insulators were installed no more sound. I also have the TRG drop links and have no more problems with them. You can email me and I can give you some info on where to get the spring insulators.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:25 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

Thanks for your reply guys!

VS- I was told by Gert of Carnewal.com that Porsche MS has two different type of drop links..the one that came with the GT3 kits (I'm guessing that the ones we got) and adjustable ones. He said the adj. ones should be able to be extended to where we could fit them onto the 996TT. I'm not sure, and that's why I wanted to check on the board to see if anyone has them.

I've tried lubing the TRG links..I did help for a while, but on the way home, it started to do it again.

Oak-I just send you an e-mail...let me know if you have any ideas.

Anyone else...???

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-09-2002, 11:12 AM
VS
Instructor

Exclamation

Chris,

I was talking about the adjustable PMS droplinks! With the stock mounting points they are a little too short. The front of my car is pretty low (slightly lower than GT2) and that contributes to the problem

Maybe Gert can put you in contact with the person who has PMS links/GT3 bar? That would be the best solution ...
Old 09-09-2002, 01:14 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Chris, another thing to note is when installing the drop links is the ball joint and links have to be aligned so when you have the links attached to the connection points they are not binding on the outer sides of the ball joint. The nature of the geometry is not straight, it is at an angle and make sure there is no binding before tighteneing the lock nut.

Oak
Old 09-09-2002, 05:05 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

VS- OK...looks like the TRG links are the only way to go. I wasn't sure if you had the regular GT3 links...but thanks for telling me...that saved me $400 bucks in drop links that wouldn't have fit.

Oak- I noticed that when installing the links...I have tried mounting them in different holes (got it 2nd softest setting now) and it still makes the noise. What hole do you have yours mounted?

Maybe I'll just have to live with the sound. It isn't that bad, and only happens at low speeds, but it's just something I'd like to get rid of....if possible

Chris
Old 09-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by Chris Y.:
<strong>
Oak- I noticed that when installing the links...I have tried mounting them in different holes (got it 2nd softest setting now) and it still makes the noise. What hole do you have yours mounted?

Maybe I'll just have to live with the sound. It isn't that bad, and only happens at low speeds, but it's just something I'd like to get rid of....if possible

Chris</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think I have mine set at the second hole also. The ball joint of the drop links should be very tight, there should be no play what so ever, if it is the drop links that is causing the noise you should notice a definate slop in the ball joint. If you have no slop, then I suspect it is not aligned correctly. Did you check your springs also? Do you have the insulators on the lower portion of the springs and spring perch? When does it make this sound when turning going straight over bumps?

Quick Reply: TRG drop links & "knocking" noise???