Sponsored by:

M5

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Rob997
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M5

As some of you may know, I am leaning towards a '02-'03 996TT Tip based on reading info on this forum...thanks guys. However, I am also curious about the new BMW M5 (500 HP SMG).

Question: Has anyone driven the new M5? If so, how would you compare the FUN factor next to the Turbo as a daily driver...not for track. I realize they are two completey different animals, but both can be FUN on the streets.

I'll be a big boy so go ahead and thrash me for asking this question here . The BMW boys have already given me their thrashing. OUCH!

Thoughts, opinions ?
Old 07-15-2006, 05:31 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Rob,

I had the E39 M5, no E60. First question is whether you enjoy the finer arts of driving a stick (heel/toe, double clutch, etc.) as the current M5 (SMG version) is totally devoid of such pleasures. If the answer is yes, then you need to wait for the 07 (at least) M5 to have a shot at these skill manuvers.

Second is whether you like blistering launches. The M5, with 500 HP, but only 383 ft-# torque is only so-so in accelarations to 100 MPH (0-60 MPH: 4.6 seconds). If you drive in places where you can routinely go 120-180 MPH (is Yorba Linda like that?) then the E60 M5 shines. So if you do drive below 100 MPH most of the time, the 997tt will eat the M5 for breakfats, lunch, and dinner.

Third is fun on the streets. The M5 is for gedget-happy owners (multiple shifting modes, i-drive, etc.) To me, that's distraction, not fun. If you love gedgets, M5 wins. If it's pure driving fun, the M5 looses, too many distractions.

Fourth is cornering. I have both an M5 and a 993 RUF BTR. Absolutely no doubt that no amount of suspension, tire and wheel mods will make an M5 corner like a Porsche. That's not even close to a debate.

Impressing others: If you enjoy a bunch of buddies in your car, and make them ooh and aahhh, then the M5 does that in spades. In The 997tt, they have to take turns.

Just my two cents.

Good luck.

CP

Last edited by CP; 07-15-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:46 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

He's asking about a 996 Turbo. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds for the M5 is probably faster than a 996 Turbo with Tiptronic. It won't be as fun to drive as a Porsche Turbo though. But you can carry full sized passengers in the back and even some luggage in the trunk.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:38 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I have an E60 M5 and have driven an M5 daily since 1988 (had a 1988, then a 1993, then 1997 M3, then 2000, then 2003 now 2006 M5). I have also always had a Porsche for a weekend car during that time. I sold my 2000 M5 when someone walked up to me in a parking lot and offered me way more than I paid. I had a 2001 996 TT coming. so I figured I would drive that daily until my new M5 came in. Ended up driving the 2001 Turbo, stock, daily for 2 years and loved the car. I then modded the Turbo with Ruf RTurbo stuff and suspension etc.... I soon found myself with a 2003 M5 as a daily driver. A 996 TT in stock configuration is a great daily driver. If you go to far with the mods you may find yourself walking by for something else during the week.

As mentioned before they are night and day. If you don't need 4 doors and the space of an M5 then get the TT as it is way more fun to drive. The E60 is a great car and a great everyday car. It is capable of things you can't believe for a large car, but it is not even close to the TT. It does have a lot of gadgets compared to the E39 M5, but those don't get in the way.

The 02 or 03 99TT is much cheaper as well. To be honest I love my new M5, but for the money I wish I kept my 2003. It did everything the new one did. Sure it is not quite the car, but it was still a great everyday car.

Good luck with you decision.

JCM
Old 07-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Boston Duce
Advanced

The BMW is by far more of a "Q-ship" than any Porsche. Depends on your view of things, but you will be able to dumb down the M5 to nosy onlookers("Yeah, It's the new 525i"), but the Turbo screams $$.

Besides the obvious differences in the body, the biggest difference you will feel is the operation of the SMG vs. the Tiptronic. Although you may experience some lag on take-off in the TT tip, I find to drive the SMG smoothly you really need to squeeze the gas at take off, until the clutch just starts to grab, otherwise it becomes jerky. Same momentary "lag" by another means.

A few more SMG traits: When you a just crawling before a stop, the SMG changes from 2nd to 1st; if you want to go before the shift is complete, you will stab the gas and get NOTHING until the shift is completed like Manny Rameriz running out a infield grounder. You have entered the SMG twilight zone where nothing happens except a "1" blinking at you from the dash. But don't touch any of the dizzying array of buttons and gizmos, because just as quickly ,it will jerk you forward like some newbie just learnig how to operate a clutch.

Did I mention the roll back on hills?? Better be fast from the brake to the gas pedal-but not too fast- if you give it too much gas it will jerk you forward-or even enter 'Launch Control'-that's always fun in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The SMG is not an-automatic-with-a-torque-converter smooth. There is a defininte decoupled engine to transmission pause to each gear change, even in the top manual sport mode. In manual sport mode though, it bangs through the shifts qucker/smoother than any driver could using a clutch. Don't get me wrong, the SMG is a pretty good piece, but it's not perfect, and it takes some getting used to.

You may want to look at a M3 which is not far away in the performance department less 4 cylindersand $30K. Same suggestion of a back seat as the TT, but a little more sporty than the 4-door. But hurry, as current production is ending and the new model is more than a few months away.

Regards,
BD
Old 07-17-2006, 05:34 PM
paq
Intermediate

Hello Rob997!

I have both an '02 996TT & '06 M5. I've had the M since 11/05 and have about 15k miles and as mentioned before, to compare these cars to each other is not fair because it is obviously not the same. The bottom line or My .02 cents is as follows:

* I find myself using the M as a daily driver. Lately, I even drive it on weekends to do short run to the store. I love the versatility of M5. For the most part, when I'm in the M, I have a relax attitude. The fun part about it is once in while during the drive of having a relax attitude, someone will pull up next to you and give you that "look" and for the street, the M5 is very capable to keep up or even blow by any car out there (especailly on rolling start).

* The 996TT on the other hand--IMHO, is more of a sprited drive. You could definitely tell that you're in a sports car (using your "butt"o-meter). BTW, I have a manual and modded 996TT. The way it is now, it is not as comfortable using it a a daily driver but it was before I did all the modification. In track, there is no contest! I track my p-car about 15/yr. and I've taken the M on 3 weekends and as mentioned earlier, the cornering is night and day. The M is not as bad, but it is just too heavy. If you could swing both, do it! IMHO, both cars are the perfect compliment for each other. But if you have to choose, I would pick the stock 996TT if you don't need the extra passenger seat that the M5 offers and vice versa.

Good luck in your decision! It is a win-win outcome in my opinion.

Patrick

Quick Reply: M5