Sponsored by:

No turbo for me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 12:54 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try one or both of the following (as an alternative to the Dealer locate, then you're not locked in to anyone too early;

1. Go to Porsche website (Porsche.com) for your (or any) state, and obtain the dealers. Then you can check their inventory on-line, when you see the color you want then check the options by calling. Most dealers are sensible about the options they order for inventory.

2. Post exactly what you want on this board and ask nicely if fellow rennlisters would check a few Dealers for you in their particular area (I'll try No California).

The car will show up, then you can go to your dealer of choice and get them to dealer trade for it. That mignt cost an exta $500 in freight, but well worth it.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts
Would ordering an '04 to my specifications and then leasing be a better idea assuming residuals will be higher in the beginning of the model year?
Old 04-10-2003, 11:40 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing is everything.

First, it is doubtful that there will be an '04.

Second, the residuals are set by the finance companies and these usually change around Sept/Oct. So they will be the same, except for the short period when there are 03s and 04s around.

Third, you will get a better discount when more cars are available (right now). It is said that Porsche has already cut back production.

Based upon what has been written on this website you could get about $12K off sticker, and that helps depreciation.

If they make an 04, the number will be smaller (I think), and it will take to the end of the 04 year to see that kind of discount, if at all. Unlikely though because of the limited
#.

Probably not what you want to hear, but the best TT to buy is one with an X50 package, not because of performance (which is great) but because they were built in smaller
#s.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts
Dr. G.
i am in NoCal. as of yesterday i know these 4 C4S exists:

carlsen porsche in palo alto 650-701-9200 gary quibelan: arctic silver on black,manager's demo, msrp 85745: heated seats, bose, xenon,mats, lumber L/R.

Claridges porsche at fremont 510-623-1111: seal gray on black, msrp 87630 heated seats, boxe, xenon, mats, exhasut tips, cd changer, supple leatehr, color crest wheel caps.

Sonnen Porsche at Tiburon 415-380-8000 daneil: speed yellow on black with yellow stiching. msrp 86880, heated seats, bose, xenon, mats, lumber L/R, headrest crest, supple leather.

Stead Porsche at walnut creek 925-280-4900 brad: seal gray on black msrp 86445: heated seats, bose, xenon, mats exhaust tips.

also call suncoast porsche florida ask for carlos and neigherbon porsche in CA for perry eges.

hope that helps a bit.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:56 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Went to the local dealer today (Thanks Doc Jackson) and met with the manager. We discussed my situation and I looked at a good number of cars. Although I was set on going the C4S Route if I couldn't get a Turbo there was a Carrera Cabrio there that looked amazing - lapis over natural brown. The car had all of the options I would have ordered if I were to order a car to my specifications. Because the car was a cancelled order the manager was offering a substantial discount. I've always wanted a convertible, but was worried about structural rigidity. Porsche definitely knows how to make a cabrio... I figure worst case scenario is I pick up a 39 month lease and then roll into a 2007 997TT. In any case, the engine in the standard carrera is more than adequate (although I'm sure I'll eventually be numb to the power), and is far more powerful/responsive/linear than my current 2001 Audi TT Quattro Coupe.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:21 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doc, i know the car. it is a beauty. i recently leased a seal grey tt from them and saw your car sitting there. i find that dealership particularly helpful and honest. while you are there, say hi to the 2001 c4 that i traded in. i really think that taking advantage of a great deal on a c2 cab due to an oversupply of 911's is probably your best option. that car, 12 months ago, would have cost you another $10,000. and the lease protects you against depreciation when the new one comes out. i diagnose-good deal. hope that it works out.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Thanks Doc, I'll know for sure tomorrow if Porsche financial is still going to hammer me with the money up front. Although I would think that the money down would be proportional to the price of the car. Thanks again for the help.

Although I'll definitely be missing the power of the turbo I've always found that riding in a convertible with the top down makes the car seem much faster than the coupe counterpart - assuming the same engine.

I'll report back tomorrow with the outcome of the deal.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:46 PM
mike_la_jolla
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lease of a Porsche Boxster, a $40K car that ended up costing me $50K to rent it for 4 years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AJ – I think you have oversimplified the math here. I assume as Physicians you are allowed to have a ‘company car’ and that you are incorporated in some manner. If that is the case then your payment is a company expense as opposed to a depreciating asset. Don’t your accountants balance your company’s profit vs. your personal income? I’m sure they do, and the lease payment is subtracted from the company balance sheet as an expense (along with that other stuff you complained about.) When the tax difference is taken into account, your ‘$50k’ Boxster is quite a bit less. What am I missing?
Old 04-10-2003, 11:30 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my pleasure to help doc. i am just an internist that loves porsches. i hope that it works out for you.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Docjackson, I sent you a private message.

Quick Reply: No turbo for me...