Sponsored by:

Squeaky Ceramic Brakes ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 06:55 PM
emorgan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Squeaky Ceramic Brakes ??

03 GT 2 about 5 k miles. The brakes are squeaking when applied lightly, driving around town. Any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2003, 07:56 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Perhaps try getting them heated up well. Sometimes when I dont drive my brakes hard for a period of time they squeal. I however do not have PCCB's. Just try given em a little hell.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:31 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Your car came stock with P90 pads. Normal practice is to replace the pads with P40's if the customer complains about squealing. My experience is that the P40 will reduce the noise but not completely eliminate it. A lot also depends on individual style.

But the P40 is a softer pad and I didn't like the feel as much. In fact, on my own car, I swapped the P40's for the P90's. With my style of driving I didn't notice a lot of noise and what there was, I was happy to accept. My attitude on the noise issue is that this is a sports car and there are meant to be compromises for perfomance. And in any case, it is hardly as annoying as would be a full race pad.

There is also a brand new pad out, the P50. I haven't tried this yet so I don't know how it compares.

You have seen the following thread? Read my posts there and follow the links to my posts on Rennteam for more info:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003473;p=1" target="_blank">Topic: GT3 Ceramic Brakes</a>

Stephen
Old 04-01-2003, 11:18 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ear plugs!
Old 04-02-2003, 12:30 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts
steven,

pls give the buy the brake bedding advice you gave me, it really worked [10 hard brakes to 5 mph.. etc
best watt
Old 04-02-2003, 03:37 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by watt:
<strong>give the buy the brake bedding advice you gave me, it really worked [10 hard brakes to 5 mph.. etc</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Good idea Watt! Follow the procedure explained under Prevention on the following page:

<a href="http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm" target="_blank">The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System</a>

Style of use is a very big factor. Heating them up tends to glaze them. But using them really hard will scrub off that glaze. So light and medium use will get long life on the pads and lots of squeel. Really hard use will wear the pads away in no time but you'll also notice very little squeel.

Stephen

Quick Reply: Squeaky Ceramic Brakes ??