Sponsored by:

Do PCCB brakes make noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 03:59 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Do PCCB brakes make noise?

ok, we bought our GT2 from Porsche of Bev Hills a couple weeks ago. It is a 2002 that had about 2400 miles on it. After putting 300 or so miles on it including an hour on the track, the brakes make noise everytime they're applied. In the front it sounds like a scratching noise and in the rear it's a sort of whirring (hard to describe sounds in words). Anyway we took it in to Porsche and they're saying that the PCCB brakes all make this noise when they're broken in. We don't believe that and don't want to drive a car with messed up brakes. So, should we worry?

-Steve
Old 06-10-2003, 04:41 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

I think they are very noisy indeed!! Most race pads are..
A friend has a GT2 and he gets embarassed each time he comes to a red light...
My brembos started becoming noisy too as of a few days ago!!
Old 06-10-2003, 05:07 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

they don't screech though, it sounds as if they're grinding...
Old 06-10-2003, 07:03 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
Most media reports complain of the noise on the GT2 brakes. As a typical example, from pg 62 of Road and Track's Aug 2001 test : " ..during normal driving, our test car's ceramic discs generated an annoying abrasive sound each time the brake pedal was depressed , regardless of pressure . " So your " grinding" sound , not the typical high -performance pad "squealing" , is probably similar .
Old 07-22-2003, 09:17 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Change the pads.

Once you've overheated the pads a few times they will never recover. Even though there may be material left they are toast. And when you take the pads off and look at them that's exactly what you will see -- toast. They will be dry and cracked. Garbage.

Negotiate a quantity discount on pads from your dealer. You are going to need it.

Stephen
Old 07-22-2003, 10:29 AM
GuyR
Racer

I have a GT2 that has 9000 miles on it.

The brakes make a very unusual sound every time you use them, irrespective of speed or brake pressure.

It's difficult to describe, but it sounds like a loud hum, but it's not a high-pitched squeal (that one gets from race brakes).

Guy
Old 07-22-2003, 11:30 AM
billhart
Instructor

Mine don't make too much noise. I have taken pains to warm them up though, by not using the engine for braking and using the brakes instead, and being fairly deliberate about their application. They are unbelievable in their stopping power, and squealled only once this weekend, when i accelerated to triple digits and used them to bring me to an almost dead stop. They are far quieter than the big brembos on my last 550 ferrari, which squealled like hell, particularly when cold.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:11 PM
20C4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

so Msindi,
do generally Brembo Brakes make noise?
Old 07-23-2003, 06:15 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

my 2 gt2's have made the same "airplane" sound under braking, a deep groaning sound which i actually like! envision the friction bringing you to a stop. In BH i know it's uncool to have brake noise but it's actually form following function. have daddy adjust karma to accept it or sell.

Stephen, fixedw, how are you? where are you? still leading the charge on pccb! i still have no pccb trouble in 7500 mi on 2 cars, but GuyR was telling me he can see some pitting now at 9K. thanks again for helping me bed the pads properly. i bet it would help all gt2 owners if you repeated those bedding instructions. and gt3 owners, too my pccb gt3 is on zee boat 7/8/3!!

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:07 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Watt,

Thanks for posting a picture of my car! I was wondering about it.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

colm,
it may look like your car, but it's my car custom photo shopped by the boys on flat-6.net sans pccb... but you can pretend it's yours. i can share because mine is on the boat to san diego as of 7/8/3

and this is a swiss car already deliv.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:37 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

colm,
this one is really rour car
Old 07-23-2003, 06:03 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

hmmm! white looks ugly, nobody should buy white!

I just put the clear bra on the GT2,... and the 996 and the Cayenne...it looks really good. I recommend it especially for white (sooner rather than later), and the guys who did it were very exacting. Having watched them do it I'm confident it is not a do it yourself job, there are way too many compound curves on the bumpers. It takes a great amount of time and patience.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:19 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

The "white noise" sound that PCCB owners are talking about is normal. I like it too.

I drove one of the importer's key people through my little village with my shot pads. He described the noise as that of metal to metal. Said that it was outrageous in a car costing so much to be giving the impression that you didn't know when to change the pads. I'd describe them more like the sound of a city bus. Certainly louder and worse even than cold race pads. Impossible to drive through my village without absolutely everyone stopping and staring. It does deal rather effectively with j-walkers though.

Personally, I wouldn't give a damn if it wasn't for the pulling, ineffectiveness and other nasty characteristics of the destroyed pads.

Whether you destroy the pads is simply down to how hot you get them. To be plain, I think some here think they are using them hard but are not. Maybe that is really a good thing?

Oh, the pitting on the surface is normal. What's not normal is when the rotors start to feel like sandpaper. That's probably caused by heavy ABS usage shattering the surface of the rotors. That's what happened to my first set of PCCB rotors. There has been no solution to this problem and the promised (but I believe not yet delivered) second generation rotors do not cure this problem.

Stephen

Last edited by FixedWing; 07-24-2003 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:36 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

My brembos do not make noise anynmore!!
I put some of that stuff you spray behind the pads (forgot what its called - a red aerosol type of thing).
My car is in service this week and so I am driving my friend's Lapis 02 TT - totally stock except for K&N and a Tubi exhaust...I noticed that the Brembos are sooooooo much better than the stock brakes.

Quick Reply: Do PCCB brakes make noise?