Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 Turbo brake system failure during track-day.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:21 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yet another all to common case of boiled fluid on a 996TT - I've seen it sooooo many time sit is amazing!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by timmhaines
I have " cooked" the fluid in my 2004 tt x50 cab on Thunderhill before, second day on track, and I thought about changing fluid after the first day and did not, second day sure enough 10 laps in brake fluid boiled and no brakes, made it to the pit, 186 on the caliper with a laser temp. I now always change the fluid before and after track days. Hard lesson to learn. Have never had any problems since and also use new pads for track days, with a little break in to seat them correctly, seems the thicker pads also help with heat control. have not lost brakes since. Also make sure the PSM is off, it never really turns off unless you unplug the PSM near the booster, with the switch off it seems to prevent the PSM from clicking the brakes. Never use PSM on the track, at Laguna Seca I did an experiment and turned it on, going into turn one, PSM thought I was out of control and "click click click" straightened me out right past the bridge, really scary at speed, also tried this at an autocross, and missed the slalom as it corrected the car. Having PSM on at the autocross added 5 seconds to my run.
^^ What he said. I had a PSM disconnect switch installed in the trunk so I can just completely bypass and disable the PSM system when I go to the track. Prior to the "hard" disconnect I would overheat the rear brakes (even with PSM switched OFF via the dash button) due to the rear brakes cycling.

Last edited by powdrhound; 09-07-2012 at 04:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo brake system failure during track-day.