Sponsored by:

Power Polish, and Zaino "my" New Turbo Cab Pics "56K Warning"

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 04:00 AM
Virtigo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Polish, and Zaino "my" New Turbo Cab Pics "56K Warning"

Well my showroom perfect shine Black Turbo Cab ended up not being quite as perfect as I thought. It becamse apparent after it got in the sun that there was some pretty good swirl marks going on. Just enough to annoy the shiat out of me.

So I got some great advice from the Crovette forum and bought a new Porta Cable, starter set of Zaino products and a set of Manzerna polish. Spent last night and half of today on the project. Check out the pics and let me know what you think!!! It's better than new now!!!!

Here are my steps: 6PM to 10PM

Dawn Blue Wash
Dry with leaf blower and micro fiber towel
Clay bar Z18 with Quick Detail as lubricant
Manzerno with Porter Cable and Pink Pad
Manzerno II with Porter Cable and White Pad

Sleep "wife says I was talking about the car in my sleep" LOL

7:30 AM to 12 PM

Dawn Blue wash
Dry with leaf blower and micro fiber towel
Z5 wait 30 minutes wipe off with micro fiber cloth

Z2 wait 30 minutes wipe off with micro fiber cloth

At this point I cleaned windows and interior so any overspray would wipe off when I applied the Z8

Z8 wipe off with a micro fiber cloth as you apply

Enjoy!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Virtigo
Advanced

This is my only before picture that is helpful in seeing the difference. Notice the area where the flash hit the car. You can see how dull the paint was there.

Here are the tools of the trade waiting for me at the door when I arrived home last night!!! I knew then I was in for a long night!!!! LOL

Cheers!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:28 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow...looks very nice (want to do mine?). Question...why did you do dawn a second time? I would not think you would want to disturb the Manzerno base coat? Did you use ZFX? Only 30 minutes between coats? TIA

Last edited by wross996tt; 03-26-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:52 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome, I can see the clouds in the reflection of the paint.

I need to do this to my Black S600 Benz. My Yellow Porsche just needs a little wax and looks great for two to three weeks (I only drive it 20-40 miles per week). Black on the other hand is another story. The 04 Benz only has 10,000 miles, but my wife takes it to work and it sits in a parking garage all day. Comes home looking dirty and ugly.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Virtigo
Advanced

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Wow...looks very nice (want to do mine?). Question...why did you do dawn a second time? I would not think you would want to disturb the Manzerno base coat? Did you use ZFX? Only 30 minutes between coats? TIA
This is what was told to me by the guros! I asked the same question. I guess the Z5 takes the place of the Manzerno base coat. Was really looking for an ALL Zaino finish and used the Manzerno just to get rid of the swirl marks. Yes I used ZFX to speed up dry time. Worked great in 70 degree weather at 30 minutes.

I was also told I really should have only done 3 total coats during the same day of Z5 and Z2. So I guess when I did it again I would go two Z5 and one Z2. Or do three Z5 and wait until the next day for the Z2.

Drove down to San Diego last night and then had to drive back in the rain!!! Figures!! That being said this morning it was an EASY wash. Using Zaino wash "Z7" it was a cinch to wash and dry. Plus it beaded up beautifully!! I have another coat of Z2 on it now for the hell of it. Then Z8 and I am done.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Virtigo
Advanced

Originally Posted by robertp
Looks awesome, I can see the clouds in the reflection of the paint.

I need to do this to my Black S600 Benz. My Yellow Porsche just needs a little wax and looks great for two to three weeks (I only drive it 20-40 miles per week). Black on the other hand is another story. The 04 Benz only has 10,000 miles, but my wife takes it to work and it sits in a parking garage all day. Comes home looking dirty and ugly.
It's some work for sure. But once you get it done it's all about maintance after that. WIth the situaition on your wife's car you will be amazed how much crap the clay bar is going to pick up. Wash her car and then put your hand in a paper bag and run it on the hood. I gurantee you are going to feel all kinds of crap on it. Once you clay bar it will be as smooth as glass.

By the way if you don't have a bunch of swirl marks you could go from clay bar right to stage II of my directions.

If you do have swirl marks don't be afraid of the Porter Cable. I was a little worried about it but the guys on the forum assured me it will be fine. Man starting on my Turbo with a tool plugged in to 120 was like throwing your first pictch in the big leadues in the World Series!! But it had to be done there is just no way you can remove them by hand!
Old 03-26-2006, 02:55 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Virtigo
I was also told I really should have only done 3 total coats during the same day of Z5 and Z2. So I guess when I did it again I would go two Z5 and one Z2. Or do three Z5 and wait until the next day for the Z2.
Yes and use Z6 between coats as well. Z5 is for swirl marks and fine scratches, so maybe one coat of this, then 2 of the Z2 with Z6 between.

Originally Posted by Virtigo
Drove down to San Diego last night and then had to drive back in the rain!!! Figures!! That being said this morning it was an EASY wash. Using Zaino wash "Z7" it was a cinch to wash and dry. Plus it beaded up beautifully!! I have another coat of Z2 on it now for the hell of it. Then Z8 and I am done.
Too bad...I hate it when that happens...anyway it does look spectacular. Nice job again! Thanks for the response.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:50 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, nice job, my kinda guy!!!! Should really post on the concours site, those guys really would appreciate your job and also they are gurus themselves.

Now take that thing to a track event in the rain before you need therapy!!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:30 PM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

indeed - looks great!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Awsome job. Car looks great!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:16 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 530 Likes on 349 Posts

Looks great.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Perfection on black!
thanks.
MK
Old 03-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Looking spectacular!! I love the Zaino product line as well. Excellent job man!
Old 03-31-2006, 06:25 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Wow, nice job. Like a mirror!!
Also, I like the red stitching, Looks sweet.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:22 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I have a black '85 930. When can I schedule an appointment? ;-) Seriously, your car looks great. I just got the clay bar kit to do mine. Only I use Mother's products. I've been thinking about color sanding it too, but I'm afraid the paint's already thin and don't want to risk it. So I'll try the Routine and see how it goes. By the way, do you have the transparent bra on the nose? I need to get out my artist's brushes and touch-up pait to repair a couple of stone chips on the nose and especially the rear view mirrors. They seem to take a lot of abuse for some reason.

Quick Reply: Power Polish, and Zaino "my" New Turbo Cab Pics "56K Warning"