Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25 year habit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:44 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom. I have done extensive testing on how much and how fast the 996 engine cool down using various methods. I have found that keeping the deck lid closed and the fan running is. by far, the best method. An example is, on an 80F day of simply running the car sitting in the hot sunshine, the engine capartment temps will rise to more than 150F. Kepping the car running and opening the lid will reduce the temperature to about 135. Simply turning n the fan with the lid closed will drop the temperature to below 110F in few minutes.

The best way is to keep the engine idling with the fan running for 5 - 10 minutes after a run. This forces the cooler air over the top of the engine and forces the heat from the turbos to escape out from under the car rather than up past the engine.

Unless you want to get into finding and installing a delay relay like the kind on your ignition switch, the simplest way is to accomplish this is to install a manual switch. I would also install the swicth to force the raditaor fans on. Running the deck fan and the front fans for 10 minutes or less while idling, will get your engine temps back down to normal and you'll be ready to start your laps again.

Remember that opening you deck lid wil allow the heat from the hottest part of the engine (headers and turbos) to pass by the rest of the engine, increasing the heat and not reducing it. If you do it the way I suggest, you will never hear the crackling from this heat again.

Quick Reply: 25 year habit.