Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 06:37 PM
saveur2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speeding ticket via pacing...

bleh.
This will be a long post!

I got ticket last night while heading to Vancouver, BC on I5. It was around 11 pm, about 5 miles from the border.

brief description of circumstances:

I'm doing about 75, on the I5 section right before the Blaine Truck crossing. It's pretty much a straight stretch, and barely any traffic. Except one car travelling on the left (passing lane) lane, going 70. I inch up, thinking he would see my lights, and move over to the right. But, no, he doesn't move. So, I flash him once, really quickly, again hoping he would move. Nope. So, I'm a little irritated, and I decide to pass on the right (which, as far as I know, is 'illegal', per se). I accelerate to pass (around 80-ish), and VERY slowly ease off the throttle. Then I immediately see a car fly up behind me, and turn on his police lights. It was an undercover squad car, no markings (and on that stretch of highway, there are no streetlights whatsoever, so I never knew he was following).

So, he gives me a ticket, for speeding, 85 in 70 zone. Then he tells me that it's illegal for me to flash a car from behind using the high-beams. And says it provokes road rage and aggressive driving. I look at him, didn't say anything, sign the ticket, and left. He also mentioned that they received 2 calls about someone flashing their high beams (yeah, that would be me. I flashed 2 cars. But for chrissake, why can't people move over to the right lane if they won't be maintaining the speed limit?! I mean, the right lanes are for slower moving traffic aren't they? And if cars on the RIGHT lane are moving faster than you are in the LEFT lane, wouldn't you feel compelled to move over?!)

Now. I was looking at our state's website for the RCW info, specifically in/around the 46.61.425 topics. And I can't find any rules about WSP pacing cars (ie, must take action within specific distance, harrassment, etc.). Perhaps someone can enllighten me? When I look back at things, I think the unmarked car was following for quite a while.

I looked at the codes regarding minimum speed driving causing traffic, another about left lanes as passing-only lanes, and found little to go on. There was no mention of flashing as being illegal (perhaps not condoned/recommended, but NOT illegal).

I think the officer knew this too, so, when it's all said and done, the ticket was written for speeding, and nothing else. The amount was around $120. I know an attorney would cost $200-300. Any thoughts? And don't start throwing the 'you should'nt be speeding in the first place' argument please. As far as I'm concerned, speed limits are nothing but money makers for the county/state.

thnx!
Old 03-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by saveur2
As far as I'm concerned, speed limits are nothing but money makers for the county/state.

I couldn't agree more.

////////////

Bummer about the ticket...
Old 03-22-2006, 07:27 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in Illinois, it is also a ticketable offense to flash your lights behind someone.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:48 PM
RdRunner
Instructor

I couldn't agree with you more, this is a total scam, I'm not sure out of state, but in California they also claim that "Driving is not a right, it's a privilege" (What kind of a BS statement is that?)

If you speed and pay the heavy fine, it shouldn't affect your record. Why should I get screwed 4 times? 1. being a tax payer, 2. DMV fees, 3. Heavy speeding fines, 4. Increase on insurance. That is just wrong... IMO your record should only be affected if you are negligent for an accident, DUI, or doing something stupid... Speeding tickets are just flat out harrasment.....
Old 03-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Lizard1
Racer

so what's the question??? i'm guessing you're trying to fight the ticket because you mentioned the cost of the lawyer? you were speeding; everybody does it, but it doesn't make it "right", and you got caught.

if you're trying to get out of it, that's bs. take responsibility and own up to it, even though blaming others and "it's not my fault" seems to be the prevailing theme of america(and i guess canada now too)

off mini-soap box
Old 03-22-2006, 07:58 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, get an attorney...pay the 300 bucks and have the ticket reduced to another lower offense that doesn't get points on your driver's licence. That's important in the long run.

It's a bummer you got a ticket, but then again it's a fact of life that a Porsche Turbo would be picked on...

Re flashing your hi-beam...in other civilized parts of the world it's considered common courtesy to flash the hi-beam, especially at night, to signal to the car ahead that you intend to pass. It's for the safety of both cars. Unfortunately, here in the U.S. we have a screwed up driving culture that can best be summarized by this...
Old 03-22-2006, 08:00 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by RdRunner
I couldn't agree with you more, this is a total scam, I'm not sure out of state, but in California they also claim that "Driving is not a right, it's a privilege" (What kind of a BS statement is that?)

If you speed and pay the heavy fine, it shouldn't affect your record. Why should I get screwed 4 times? 1. being a tax payer, 2. DMV fees, 3. Heavy speeding fines, 4. Increase on insurance. That is just wrong... IMO your record should only be affected if you are negligent for an accident, DUI, or doing something stupid... Speeding tickets are just flat out harrasment.....

So I guess no penalties should apply to you until there is proof positive that you are driving dangerously - like killing someone - ? I agree that many citations are bull****, but there has to be someway of preventing people from driving like asses on the road.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:06 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
So I guess no penalties should apply to you until there is proof positive that you are driving dangerously - like killing someone - ? I agree that many citations are bull****, but there has to be someway of preventing people from driving like asses on the road.
I think a guy driving a 996 TT @ 85 mph is likely less of hazard to anyone compared to:

- idiots who just sit in the left lane
- those who yack on their cell phones while driving
- monster SUVs that obstruct all view of the road and traffic ahead

The foregoing cause more accidents and road rage than any other. Why doesn't the DMV and the cops address those safety hazards?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:13 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by BobbyC
I think a guy driving a 996 TT @ 85 mph is likely less of hazard to anyone compared to:

- idiots who just sit in the left lane
- those who yack on their cell phones while driving
- monster SUVs that obstruct all view of the road and traffic ahead

The foregoing cause more accidents and road rage than any other. Why doesn't the DMV and the cops address those safety hazards?

Just because you may have a safe car does not mean that the guy behind the wheel is a safe driver, or that an obstruction won't impede your path. Anyone who has driven for a long time can tell you stirories of how they, at times, have had some close calls driving fast, even tho they are great drivers. The kind that gets your heart racing and a lump in your stomach.

We all need to check ourselves at tiimes and for those that don't, someone else will check them.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Ruiner
Instructor

I am not sure if this happened in the US or Canada, but many states have "rules" about pacing. In Georgia, for example, I believe that they have to pace you for a certain distance (like 1/4 or 1/2 mile) before they write you a ticket. I need to read up on the GA code again. Check the local laws for where you got pulled over...
Old 03-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Law enforcement is not *really* concerned with safety. If they were they would be patrolling for things that typically cause accidents.

On the Interstates around Atlanta the dangerous drivers are the ones not paying attention, not using their signal to change lanes, not turning around and looking before changing lanes, and not assessing the closure of cars behind them before changing lanes in front of those cars. The problem is, patrolling the roads looking for these risky drivers does not generate the revenue that handing out speeding tickets does. It's also not as fun for the officer.

I never see an officer parked near intersections watching for drivers running red lights. I never see officers patrolling the roads looking for the safety violations listed above. Even if they did, the citation would probably never hold up in court like a speeding ticket would.

Shooting radar/laser from the side of the road is a perk for the officer. It's like target practice, followed by the officer trying to set a personal best in the 0-60 mph, quarter mile, and one mile runs all on one pass. The citations easily hold up in court, and it's easy/fast/big money for the local/state government.

The next time I get stopped for speeding by an officer running radar/laser, I expect he will ask the standard question..."Sir, do you know why I stopped you?". My answer is going to be..."For driving 30 mph slower than you just did chasing me down?".
Old 03-22-2006, 11:35 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You basically fell for the entrappment deal. You got suckered into passing an unmarked police car. I have to admit I dont think thats the same as "speeding" you just made a pass and kept on going. Cant argue that theoretically you made a legal mistake and were unsafe. Having said that I would procure the local lawyer in the area that deals with this and he will at least get rid of the moving violation so your insurance doesnt go up.
Locally here the lawyer that does that charges $100 and you get off. He apparently does this by having the court date posted on the officers day off, officer doesnt show and ticket gone (I dont know the details but this is actually what happens)
oh well moral of the story, drive safe, obey posted speed limits, and get a lawyer.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know B.C. law, but here, I would definitely hire a lawyer and pay $300 to get your fine changed to something else which costs the same or more.
I don't know the law on brights in Indiana, but if it's illegal, I've violated it thousands of times. Lane discipline has vanished from the roads, and cars creep along in the left lane , clogging up traffic for miles.
Studies done in New York showed that the drivers who weave thru traffic to find the openings, actually spped it up for everybody (could explain why, but it takes a while).
The safety issue is misstated. The same highways here that have a speed limit of 55 were 70 when I was 16, and everybody went 80. That was on skinny bias ply tires, drum brakes, mush suspensions, and no belts or bags.
Safety would be much enhanced by focusing on drugs, alcohol, weapons possession and enraged truckers. But, Porsches are juicy targets, and young, underpaid troopers love the feeling of being empowered.
I would understand the penalties if they breath tested and penalized the inebriated. The semi at 70 is a hundred times more dangerous than the Porsche at 90. Okay, I'm preaching to the choir. AS
Old 03-23-2006, 12:26 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

There was recently an article in the Chicago Tribune titled "Left Lane Slowpokes Face Tougher Time Under New Illinois Law." A link to the article is attached. It starts by saying "Drivers who think they own the left lane on expressways and interstate highways will have to move over for faster traffic or risk a $75 fine under a new Illinois law that took effect January 1."

Chicago Tribune Left Lane Slow Pokes
Old 03-23-2006, 02:17 AM
markski
Racer

u guys I have a better one.....
I was doing 84 mph on a 55 when everyone with me was doing mid 70s.... the car behind me... a white mustang came up on me close.. flashed the high beams.. I spend up and moved over.... a state trooper pulled me over for reckless driving.... she was the cop in the white mustang...

Quick Reply: speeding ticket via pacing...