Sponsored by:

Certified Pre-Owned Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:12 PM
bhouse
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Certified Pre-Owned Question

I drove up from Seattle to look at a certified pre-owned porsche at Roger Job's. During the course of our discussion about the car and its history, it came out that the car was actually certified down in Texas on a previous sale of the car. I asked why they had not re-certified the car and the salesman, Travis Graddon, said that Porsche does not allow dealers to certify a car more then once. I asked about this again to be sure I was understanding him and I sat there somewhat puzzled.

When I got back to seattle, I stopped by Barrier and asked a salesman there tha I work with regularily whether a car can be re-certified and he said yes but did mention that it can be confusing and perhaps the salesman up at Roger jobs was just confused. Then again, Barrier comes across as very professional and perhaps my salesman at Barrier was just being kind and not wanting to make the Roger Job's salesman look bad.

So the question I have for the forum is quite simple, can a car that is already certified be re-certified (assuming it is not too old ... this was a 2001 996 Turbo)? Is it really all that confusing or is it a fairly straightforward answer?

The obvious reason for my asking is whether or not I should stay the heck away from dealing with Roger Job's in the future.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide,
Bart
Old 03-20-2006, 01:36 PM
gato
6th Gear

My understanding is this: Essentially the Texas dealership purchased an extended warranty from Porsche North America for two years and to 100,000 mi. This will be on Porsche's web site which any P. dealer can access with vehicle's serial no.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:06 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Porsche certified car does not mean that the dealer that ceritfied the car will have to soley warranty it. Any Porsche dealer will have to warranty the car so long as it is a Porsche warranty. If no, you have to go back to Roger Job.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Lizard1
Racer

once a dealership certifies a car, the porsche certified warranty of 6yrs/100K miles is transferable to any new owners so there would not be any reason to "recertify" it
Old 03-20-2006, 11:12 PM
bhouse
AutoX

The car had about 10 months left on the original extended warranty. I was wondering if I could re-certify the car and get a full 2 year warranty instead of the just the remaining 10 months. Perhaps the confusion is around this point. Is this not allowed by Porsche or is it in general not worth the money?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:02 AM
gato
6th Gear

found this:

http://autos.msn.com/home/cpoWarrant...spx?mk=Porsche
Old 03-21-2006, 01:12 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bhouse: When the car is certified you get the 2 yr/100K. I don't believe you can recertify a car. So if 10 months are left on the CPO then that's all you have left. Of course you can buy another warranty for another two years but the car wouldn't be CPO.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:06 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure if this is true or not but I was told that if a Porsche CPO car is sold to a Porsche dealer then the CPO warranty is cancelled. It's only transferable to a private party. Maybe that's why they are talking about re-certifying it.

Quick Reply: Certified Pre-Owned Question