Sponsored by:

Head airbags question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Zipgun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Head airbags question

Tried a search but came up nill. Im pretty sure the 00-05 996TT's are only availible with front and sides, and only 997's have them, correct?

Reason is Im in the market for a TT either a new 997 or a used later 04-05 996. but would rather have the head/thorax bags if possible. By anychance, is there a way to have em but in a 996? Im thinking not but I dont really know.

Oh well like I keep telling my wife its only 40k more , but then again it will be a brand new car

Thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 11:36 AM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does have side and head bags. They are in the door.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Zipgun
Instructor

They do? cool. tells ya how much I know , is it a later model? So I know what to look for etc.. Most cars on the porsche usa preowned search, dosent seem to have em equipped, mainly fronts and sides. Guess I'll keep searching

Thanks for the reply
Old 03-16-2006, 05:45 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Exclamation

Neither the 996 nor the 997 have "side curtain airbags", the kind supposed to be most effective for head protection in side impacts. The side air bag in the door is, however, oversized and extends into the head area, providing (in theory) some head protection.
I was surprised the 997 redesign didn't include the airbag curtains - probably a 996 roof assembly carry-over issue.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Zipgun
Instructor

You guys are confusing me j/k

But I see now. the thorax bag is a new thing for side impacts and like u said wce said they call the door bags head bags.

Official Carrera 997 specs:
"Newly designed front seats are fitted with thorax airbags in the side of each backrest. Door panels protected by boron steel side beams also include airbags that inflate to form a flat cushion between the occupants and the doors while providing protection for your head over the entire seat adjustment range."

From the official porsche 997 GT3 specs:

"Each occupant is protected by dual front Advanced Airbags along with two side airbags: a thorax airbag located in the side of the seat backrest, and a head airbag which deploys upwards from the door."

Same goes for the 997TT as well... According to the specs they all now have 6 airbags.

Hence the confusion... So I guessing the head/door deployed bags are the same as previous ones.

Quick Reply: Head airbags question