Sponsored by:

Tip quicker than stick....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Kiko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
The reason that I think that 0-60 times are not a good test of a performance car is that it measures tires, traction, launch technique, and the driver's willingness to abuse the machinery more than it measures horsepower. It is more important in cars with limited horsepower. If you drag-race your car, you are probably interested in 0-60 times. In that case, you'll probably want some drag radials, and really rack up some numbers.
Totally agree! This O-60 thing is so bad but so important for most buyers that some manufacturers have this into account when designing their cars (gear ratios for instance)!!! This trend is changing though 0-200km/h is much more realistic for high power cars just like 80-180km/h to remove the traction and clutch abuse off the equation.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:16 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

996tt owners have a vested interest in getting away from 0-60 as a performance measure since our cars suck at it in real life. If anyone thinks its fun to have your rear axles jackhammering the asphalt for 2 seconds or banging a 1-2 shift with the risk of a catastrophic miss, we have differing notions of fun.
The tip has always been faster in real life, since you can get a perfect, atraumatic, launch every time. I'd hate to have to beat a standard 996tt tip across an intersection in my 6 speed X50. I might post one run that was quicker, but would lose out on three. After those 4 runs, his car would be fine, and mine would be wounded.
Used mustang + 4.33 locker +nitrous + slicks will beat our cars every time and cost about what one 996tt gearbox costs to replace.
Won't the Ford GT get to 60 in first gear too? AS

Quick Reply: Tip quicker than stick....