Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Differential in the Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The timing of this thread could not be more appropriate, as I have been researching LSDs over the past couple of weeks. The Porsche Motorsports / Guard LSDs are for 6 speeds only. Brian Copan (BMC) informed me that Quaife UK made a custom LSD (rear) for a Tip and, according to Copan (he installed it), the Quaife unit worked well. I contacted Quaife and they apparently made two of them. I purchased the second one. They probably can make more if any other Tip owners are interested (PM me and perhaps we can get a group rate). Quaife also makes a LSD for 6 speed 996TTs. The Quaife units are billet.

Craig
Old 02-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is cool, very high quality stuff!
Mk
Old 02-08-2006, 04:47 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Craig.
I contacted Quaife and they apparently made two of them. I purchased the second one.
Craig,

Have you installed it yet? If not, when will you? I'd be very interested in feedback on what you think of it in use. Also, do you know any technical details about it?

What got you interested in this topic? It isn't something that a Turbo owner, and especially a tip Turbo owner, would think about.

Thanx.

Stephen
Old 02-08-2006, 04:50 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Audi-Dudi
BTW, Stephen, due to the layout of the 911-based Porsches (and even to a lesser extent, the 951 chassis cars as well), they benefit from having more lockup under braking than your Audi does ... what makes your car seem a bit nervous and unstable helps those cars rotate into the corner. Half of the reasons I've been tinkering with the setup in my A4 -- besides "just because"! -- is to optimize its performance in an application other than what it was designed for ... were I driving a Porsche (someday, I swear!), it should work quite a bit better out of the box than it does in my Audi.
I actually wonder if it might be the other way around? My biggest complaint against the unit I currently have in the Audi is that it doesn't help enough in getting the car to rotate. On the other hand, I can just imagine what an amazing sight it might be to have a 996, with all of that weight hanging off the back, rotate. One of the possible explinations of why the 996 GT2 crashes so often is the combination of extra weight at the back, bigger tyres and LSD.

Stephen
Old 02-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Craig.
Racer

Originally Posted by FixedWing
Have you installed it yet?
No, I ordered it yesterday. It has to be shipped from the UK.

What got you interested in this topic? It isn't something that a Turbo owner, and especially a tip Turbo owner, would think about.
Why would a Tip owner be less interested, as compared to a 6Speed owner (careful how you answer that)? The genesis of my interest is the same as others . . . improved traction. Like others, I occassionally lose traction, both in turns and during hard acceleration in a straight line. A LSD should minimize both of these occurrences. Moreover, the after-market LSDs are stronger and more durable than the OEM diff (I am aware of an OEM diff breaking on a high HP 996TT).

Craig
Old 02-08-2006, 05:27 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Why would a Tip owner be less interested, as compared to a 6Speed owner (careful how you answer that)? The genesis of my interest is the same as others . . . improved traction. Like others, I occassionally lose traction, both in turns and during hard acceleration in a straight line. A LSD should minimize both of these occurrences. Moreover, the after-market LSDs and stronger and more durable than the OEM diff (I am aware of an OEM diff breaking on a high HP 996TT).
Craig,

As a general rule, a tip has less performance. Tips tend to be more limited in the power that they can handle. And they aren't, generally, as easy to control. That doesn't mean to say that tips are "bad" or "wrong", only that they tend to appeal to a different group. This isn't a group that I would normally expect to be interested in an LSD.

Stereotyping? I suppose..

Anyway, hurry up and get it installed. I want to hear your impressions!

Stephen
Old 02-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Craig.
Racer

As a general rule, a tip has less performance. Tips tend to be more limited in the power that they can handle. And they aren't, generally, as easy to control. That doesn't mean to say that tips are "bad" or "wrong", only that they tend to appeal to a different group. This isn't a group that I would normally expect to be interested in an LSD.

Stereotyping? I suppose..
Inaccurate stereotyping indeed!!! I guess Sharkey's 10.6 second Tip is "less performance" oriented??? Out of curiosity, what is this "different group" that you refer to? Several Rennlist members, including myself and Sharky, have 996TTs that are considerably more modified than the vast majority of 6Speeds. Do we fall into this mysterious "different group" that you refer to? Moreover, what empirical data supports your theory that "Tips tend to be more limited in the power that they can handle?" Sharky's and my Tip handle a considerable amount of power without a problem. Likewise, what is the factual predicate for your theory that Tips "aren't, generally, as easy to control?" Racing legand Hurley Haywood stated publicly that he prefers the Tip over the 6 speed on the track. Likewise, Walter Röhrl produced very similar lap times with a Tip, as compared to a 6 speed. Apparently, Haywood and Röhrl do not have a problem controlling a Tip. Nor do I or Sharky, among others.

Craig
Old 02-08-2006, 06:56 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Inaccurate stereotyping indeed!!!
The nice thing about speaking in vast generalities is that the exception does not disprove the rule.

Anyway, we're getting a little off topic here. Back to LSD's?

Stephen
Old 02-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Craig.
Racer

The nice thing about speaking in vast generalities is that the exception does not disprove the rule.

Anyway, we're getting a little off topic here. Back to LSD's?
Precisely the answer one would expect from someone who proffered unsupportable and erroneous generalizations based on hearsay and assumptions, and was subsequently confronted with facts proving otherwise. Nevertheless, as you correctly observe, this thread is about LSDs, so we should table our off-topic discussion for another time.

Craig
Old 02-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Kiko
Racer

Craig I respect you very much and respect your quest for the power levels you seem to be achieving with your car but...

a Tip is an automatic gearbox with its torque converter just like any other automatic gearbox, unlike BMW's SMGII/III and Ferrari' F1 which are manual gearboxes with semi-automatic comand and direct drive like WRC race cars for instance (exception for the straight teeth/no syncro). I personally love auto boxes for daily driving (I got both on my Jeep and my Smart) but not for sports driving and yes I've driven a Porsche Tiptronic and the disconnected feeling of the transmission, slow response and everything that comes with auto gearboxes ruined the drive for me...

Hurley Haywood may have found tip's better but he seems to be the only one though, EDO competion Nurburgring record holding Porsche GT2, GT3 cup cars (actually GT3 and GT2 - the sportier 911 didn't even had the option of coming with Tip), 996 RSR and most of all Porsche AG itself who's stopping Tiptronics and going for PDK (direct drive) thinks otherwise.

Craig this is not a personal attack or to your transmission of choice but it has to be said and seriously hope you take it as an opinion and don't reply aggressively as you did to FixedWing.

As to LSD's... I'll repost my reply given on the Rennteam forum...
Old 02-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Kiko
Racer

My guess is that on a 25% LSD the PSM needs no adjustement but one thing I'm sure, a LSD is not a 100% all good device, its has its pro's and cons. We all know the pros (which are clearly blanted by the 4wd..) but what some of you don't know is that for instance a 50% LSD will make the car push (understeer) in tight corner so much you'll think the car has flat tyre! It will also make the car oversteer on throtle lift off (when PSM off) and makes the car more twitchy and unforgiving on the wet! Personally I'd only fit a LSD if I did a lot of other mods(like sport suspension,etc) AND if I'd disconect the FWD shaft which some rennlisters did...
Otherwise my car (RoW suspension with -1,5º camber) DOES NOT need an LSD both on the dry and wet, on the road or on the track.

One other thing for you power junkies...LSD's will make you "lose" a lot of horsepower when coming out of turns even if the inner wheel is not slipping, just for the friction generated during turns by different wheel speeds side-to-side.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Craig.
Racer

Kiko, I do not disagree with the *facts* you posted about Tips (as opposed to negative generalizations about Tip drivers) and, therefore, you will not draw an aggressive response from me. I only use the "manual" mode (which requires shifting on the steering wheel) and, therefore, I do not experience the "disconnected" feeling that you referenced.

Craig
Old 02-08-2006, 09:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I wonder what the factory put in the 2005 Turbo?
The factory LSD for the G96.88 runs at 40/65%, part number #996-332-083-9B.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:08 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The factory LSD for the G96.88 runs at 40/65%, part number #996-332-083-9B.
That seems quite aggressive. Thank you for the info Jason!!!

Now what I'm wondering is if this LSD can live with the PSM system in my 2001 or if they changed it significantly in the 2005 model year.

Stephen
Old 02-09-2006, 06:16 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

We need a guinea pig for this.

Stephen, I'm also a tip owner by the way.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differential in the Turbo?