Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter wheels on the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006 | 11:16 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Default Winter wheels on the Turbo

I have been offered two 18x10J ET47 Turbo Look II wheels. The part number is 996.362.140.01.

I've noticed that the part number is different to that usually sold for the Turbo. Can someone please confirm that these wheels are ok on the Turbo? Are there any practical differences?

These are not hollow spoke wheels. Am I right that Porsche never sold a hollow spoke version of this wheel in the 10J size?

Is it still normal practice to use a smaller 18x10J wheel on the back when mounting winter tyres? What is the preferred winter tyre?

Thank you.

Stephen

Old 02-05-2006 | 01:56 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

What were these 10Js made for?
The 47mm offset would make em about right for summer narrow body 996 use (out too far some taste, not mine).......but on Turbo they would be in too far.

OE hollows are 45mm at 11J........and if you imagine that same wheel an inch narrower, it would be another 13mm 'pushed in' (ET)........and most people even space out hollows.

On the 10J question for winter.........it's a personal opin but if you actually will be driving snow, I don't even go that wide.
On tire recomends....search & find.......but it's not the greatest time o yr to get good selections......I still think your three are P.210/240......B.Blizzaks.......and D.M3........pretty much in that order (but the P & B are close).

Good luck
Old 02-05-2006 | 02:22 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Thanx Gregg. If I were to get them, it wouldn't be for use this winter so I'm not too worried about the immediate availability of tyres. I would want to use them next winter.

You are right about the 10J looking a little weird. Here is a photo of a loaner Turbo I had from Stuttgaht which had winter wheels on it at the time. The narrowness is obvious. But I'm not too worried about this just over the shorter winter period.

I would want these for use in Europe so high speed winter tyres would be a must.

Stephen

Old 02-06-2006 | 03:56 AM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FixedWing
I have been offered two 18x10J ET47 Turbo Look II wheels. The part number is 996.362.140.01.
10J x 18 ET 47 is the correct size, yep. That's what Ive been using for the last 5 winters...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/249323-my-turbo-in-winter-trim.html

Is it still normal practice to use a smaller 18x10J wheel on the back when mounting winter tyres? What is the preferred winter tyre?
Yes, that's normal. Actually, that's even needed, since there is no 295cm wide winter tyre in 18". (There's now several in 19" for the 997S). The Porsche recommended and approved tyre width is 265.

I'm now using the Pirelli SnowSport 240, and am pretty pleased with it:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+240+SnowSport

And yes, it looks a bit weird with these 'narrow' rims. Many people install spacers to fix that, but I think it looks weird in a kinda cool way. So... no spacers for me!

Greetings,
--p
Old 02-06-2006 | 08:04 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Thank you Pierre. Now I just need to figure out how to mount metal studs in the Pirellis!

Stephen

Quick Reply: Winter wheels on the Turbo