Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Airbox melted!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:50 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the point. With an OEM engine, at the track, and under the crazy conditions of track driving/continuous full boost, why take the chance that some stupid aftermarket part will blow and ruin your event. Porsche has tested their motors as a whole, as a complete working system, far harder than any "tuner". They know that the motor can withstand any condition on the planet. (I am not talking about suspension or brake mods, those are effective)

When I spend my hard earned $$$$$ to get me and my car half way across the US to go to the track for 3 days, the last thing I want to have to deal with are motor malfunctions, because I listened to the hype (your right Oak) and wanted the 5 extra HP for $2,000 bucks! What insult to injury!!!!

Yeah, you can mod Turbos, have at it....An 800 hp 996 Turbo will, I guarantee, be in the pits at Laguna Seca, smoking, after an hour of full boost. And you know what, you can pour all those mods into a motor, and you still won't be fast at the track, unless you have the driving skill to exploit it.

btw, driving hard on the street, and the track? There is no comparison at all......The track exposes any weakness in a car. It takes a very special car to stand up to the rigors of all-out track driving, and still be streetable...Porsches ARE special because they can do this in stock form. Every track breakdown I have ever had was because of mods that were not properly tested by the manufacturers.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:58 PM
omega
Racer

have evo will travel..... just returned from a weekend monster drive lots of top end stuff hard 2nd gear driving in the rain and dry no maf problems....no ecu lites,,,, am happy with mine......
Old 11-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

It seems to me that the cause(s) of these CEL and MAF issues have not been nailed down. If they are the result of the EVO air box, why doesn't everybody with the V-Flow have the problem?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:06 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

JPschnitzer,

You are my hero

You tell it like it is

However, not everyone has the capacity to listen
Old 11-07-2005, 12:07 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well said JP Good forum and input, I feel that I and my locals cant give me enough info to take to track events and with the X-50 I dont think another 50 or even 150 extra hp would make me much faster anyway!! Going to stay in JP's camp until I can out drive my current setup.

tom
Old 11-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by JPschnitzer
...the last thing I want to have to deal with are motor malfunctions, because I listened to the hype (your right Oak) and wanted the 5 extra HP for $2,000 bucks!
What did you buy for $2000?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:28 AM
NC Bob
Instructor

EVO intake has been great. No problems.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

No problems with my intake yet....

Most people that have problems have other mods also. So it maybe a combination...

I was hesitant to get the evo box due to all the issues with MAf's. But they seem to have died down with the dry filter.

As far as driving skills, a great driver will always beat HP.... It's a no brainer..

If your "Stock car fails at the track" Porsche will not honor your warr. anyway since you were tracking your car... If you have a relationship with your dealer they may help, but Porsche's stance is, if you track your on your own...

Anyone else want an X50 exhaust, I have one in my storage unit...
Old 11-13-2005, 09:24 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary, did you take your X-50 exhaust off? If so what did you get in its place? I have been having trouble getting advice with the TT in Tampa?!

tom
Old 11-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Gary, did you take your X-50 exhaust off? If so what did you get in its place? I have been having trouble getting advice with the TT in Tampa?!

tom
Tom,

I did not even realize you were in Tampa.

I'll send you a pm with my contact info...

Quick Reply: My Airbox melted!!