Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woodster
Rennlist == best technical data, and info
6Bling == best place to download videos of Supras street racing and
hear about all the 900 horsepower cars (that cannot touch Protomotive's
700 horsepower cars). I am now donning my flame suit and going into
hiding...
If by help on technical questions you are referring to OEM technical 996TT question, my impression is it's 50/50. Although you may have to wait a few days for a response here. If your talking about pushing the envelope a little...

Originally Posted by Woodster
Call Stephen at I/A, Todd at Protomotive,
and Rob at S-Car-GO and get each of their ideas on what to do next.
Todd does head work and you are getting into some pretty technical
areas (these are not small block chevys!!)
Marty
Old 10-19-2005 | 06:51 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

6Speed for: " Man, what is the next performance mod for my Stage 8 GTBling 950, I've heard a BOV + W flow filter will add another 60RWHP"
"Bro', I ceramic coated my CNC BOV and found another 25RWHP - the filter gave me 50 on top - there is only one superpower "
Rennlist: Friendly, technical, but if there's a whiff of BS, you'll need to be prepared to enter into debate.
Old 10-19-2005 | 03:57 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

TB
Mind sharing who did your BOV ceramic coating? Does the car spool faster?
You are a bit misinformed, there is no way the filter will give you 50 RWHP, it is more like 30 guaranteed per my butt dyno, but the V (not "W") flow intake definitely will make you spool 0.4 bars more together with some better end-tanks and water spray.
Are you still spinning your tires inside the wheels in 6th gear?
Man I love your car.
Old 10-19-2005 | 08:33 PM
RobynC
Pro

Who cares. Take what you can from each forum, participate and enjoy each for what they provide YOU.

I don't quite understand the holyier than thou attitude that is seen at times around here from our more technically savvy posters. Some people focus on the technical/performance side, others on the aesthetic side...neither should be frowned or looked down upon.
Old 10-19-2005 | 10:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobynC
Who cares.
I do.

When 6speed first started it was populated by a different crowd than it has now. The first few years had reasonable, mature, and adult-like posts. It's way different now - so many on there now are on the opposite end of the spectrum. I use to read 6speed all of the time, but now it's an occasional high speed pass looking for the rare thread that has some real value.
Old 10-19-2005 | 10:24 PM
RobynC
Pro

That's fine Dock, but there are a lot of posters that visit both sites, I just don't see the need to make fun of people because we don't all share the same degree of passion for dynos or HRE wheels. I'm not saying not to care, I'm saying quit being so rude about how we are all different. (Not you, some)
Old 10-20-2005 | 02:51 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RobynC
That's fine Dock, but there are a lot of posters that visit both sites, I just don't see the need to make fun of people because we don't all share the same degree of passion for dynos or HRE wheels. I'm not saying not to care, I'm saying quit being so rude about how we are all different. (Not you, some)
I almost never see anyone making fun of others on Rennlist because they are less knowledgeable, in fact that would be plain stupid. The amount of support that these people give to other less involved in tech stuff is outstanding. With time, this is what raises the knowledge level of the forum as it is a very solid community that believes in paying forward.

It is not only about the people but about the culture instaured in the forum. Same people in both places will act differently.

Where you see sarcasm (not rudeness) is when claims are made that can misrepresent the truth of a product or facts, or when someone posts performance results that are flawed, or when someone is posting a blunt commercial post with non-technical info and makes it sound like it is, or worse still, lies about the characteristics and performance of the product.

This sarcasm helps other Rennlisters to think twice about what is being told to them and how they are going to spend their money, they will hopefully make more informed decisions.

On 6speed, you have many many good people as well of course, but the spirit is different as you said, I personally enjoy both, I might have more fun there because the crowd is a bit younger maybe, I learn much more here. When it comes to sharing tech info, people here tend to appreciate more the research done for them, and they sometimes even thank you for it. Not as much on 6speed, unless you add one of those big smileys at the end of your post

Do a search on ANY topic and see the amount of info that you get. Heck, the wiring harness worlwide recall originated in Rennlist by E.J.

As TB very well said, "if there's a whiff of BS, you'll need to be prepared to enter into debate." , a healthy one that is based on facts and data.
Cheers
Old 10-20-2005 | 04:18 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

One thing's for certain - there is no thread over there slamming this board. For that matter, I don't think I've read a post slamming this board.
Old 10-20-2005 | 08:54 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zippy
One thing's for certain - there is no thread over there slamming this board. For that matter, I don't think I've read a post slamming this board.
Neither did I.

Robyn C, I totally agree with what you've said.
Old 10-20-2005 | 10:58 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Default I have not laughed this hard in days!

Jean's reply to TB993tt:

ceramic coated/cnc/XX horsepower increase,
spin the wheels inside the tires in 6th...

Old 10-20-2005 | 11:56 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Jean, well said!!
Old 10-20-2005 | 12:11 PM
RobynC
Pro

Originally Posted by Jean
I almost never see anyone making fun of others on Rennlist because they are less knowledgeable, in fact that would be plain stupid. The amount of support that these people give to other less involved in tech stuff is outstanding. With time, this is what raises the knowledge level of the forum as it is a very solid community that believes in paying forward.

It is not only about the people but about the culture instaured in the forum. Same people in both places will act differently.

Where you see sarcasm (not rudeness) is when claims are made that can misrepresent the truth of a product or facts, or when someone posts performance results that are flawed, or when someone is posting a blunt commercial post with non-technical info and makes it sound like it is, or worse still, lies about the characteristics and performance of the product.

This sarcasm helps other Rennlisters to think twice about what is being told to them and how they are going to spend their money, they will hopefully make more informed decisions.

On 6speed, you have many many good people as well of course, but the spirit is different as you said, I personally enjoy both, I might have more fun there because the crowd is a bit younger maybe, I learn much more here. When it comes to sharing tech info, people here tend to appreciate more the research done for them, and they sometimes even thank you for it. Not as much on 6speed, unless you add one of those big smileys at the end of your post

Do a search on ANY topic and see the amount of info that you get. Heck, the wiring harness worlwide recall originated in Rennlist by E.J.

As TB very well said, "if there's a whiff of BS, you'll need to be prepared to enter into debate." , a healthy one that is based on facts and data.
Cheers
I don't believe I'm arguing against your point there, Jean. I'm not knocking the merits of either site or the users. However, this so called "sarcasm" borders on rude and elitest at times. I suppose those who dish that, don't always see that they are. Blinders I guess. At any rate, each site has wonderful attributes. I use them differently depending on my needs.

I'm quite familiar with the search benefit of both sites, thanks. I use them often, they are terrific if you are interested in educating ones self. Especially your posts. I appreciate your contributions to the site on a technical level.

Cheers,
Old 10-20-2005 | 04:44 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Robyn
You might be right and sometimes one comes across as elitist or arrogant without meaning it when trying to look for the truth, I own a 10 year old car and have built it myself mostly, I am a hardcore enthusiast and hate it when fellow new users are about to get ripped off. I have no ties with any tuners obviously but I do have preferences, and sometimes try to share what I learnt here on Rennlist to give it back to others that are inb the process.
Thanks for your perspective, it is appreciated.
Cheers.
Jean
Old 10-23-2005 | 12:57 AM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

I think forum owners, admins & moderators set the tone for what a site is to be, and the members that make a forum really great.

There are any number of forums that offer a different feel, style, type of information and sense of 'community'. No doubt some content will be the same, but that should not stop someone that wants to participate in both (or more) to do so, IMO.

6spd indeed probably can be characterized as more 'bling' than Rennlist, however, I personally think there is great value to the enthusiast for a number of sites to exist for people to enjoy.

For personal reasons I lost interest in 6spd quite sometime back. I have a few favorite forum sites, and Rennlist as the greatest Porsche enthusiasts site, is one of them.
Old 10-23-2005 | 10:33 AM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

I'm a mod at 6speed and FunCars. I visit all the others. I find value and interest in all. I think I have a problem actually... I'm totally addicted to car forums with Porsche being the #1 culprit.

I have a 100% stock Turbo, but still enjoy 6speed. Go figure.

Quick Reply: 6speedonline same people/posts?