Sponsored by:

This Car Scares Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 03:50 AM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This Car Scares Me

After a roller coaster ride that lasted many months, my car is finally done. The following is a list of my current mods:

Performance Mods: EVO MS GT800 turbos (Garrett GT30 compressor / K24 turbine) * Custom GIAC programming with Chipswitch (valet, 91 and 100 octane programs) * La Bree Motorsports custom exhaust (Tubi tips, Burns Stainless Ultra-Light Racing Mufflers, 76 mm 304 stainless steel tubing) * EVO MS short tube headers (44.5 mm primary tube, Tech Line Turbo X ceramic coating) * Bosch/Siemens 720cc high flow fuel injectors * Bosch high pressure fuel pump * Gemballa sport air intake system and air inlet distributor * GT2 intercoolers with Turbo Dynamics modified end tanks and piping * Turbo Dynamics aluminum Y-pipe * 996NA 75 mm throttle body * Turbo Dynamics aluminum intake plenum * EVO MS V-Flow intake box * Aquamist methanol/water injection system (boost actuated direct spray into the intake) * Aquamist methanol/water intercooler sprays (boost and manually actuated) * EVO MS fuel pump voltage amplifier * Porsche Motorsports 5 bar fuel pressure regulator * EVO MS fuel line upgrade kit, including stainless steel lines, modified fuel rail, and fuel filter * EVO MS silicone boost hose kit * Bailey diverter valves * Carrillo rods * IA 8740 alloy, coated head studs * IA upgraded, coated valve springs * GT3 oil pump * Shuffle pinned case * Ceramic coated piston tops * Dry lubed rods and skirts * JRZ RS double adjustable racing dampers and springs * TPC front and rear sway bars (24 mm/30 mm) * TRG front and rear adjustable drop links * Cargraphic alloy strut tower bar * Brembo 14in / 380mm Evolution brakes with cross drilled rotors * Brembo wheel carriers * Brembo stainless steel brake lines * Brembo ceramic brake pads * Porsche X50 transmission * EVO MS modified torque converter (increased stall speed) * HRE 540R wheels (11.5/8.5) * Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (315/235) * Optima Redtop battery

Non-Performance Mods: Tech-Art Type II front bumper * GT2 rear wing * Porsche sport seats * SmarTire tire pressure monitoring * AEM wideband air fuel gauge * Defi-Link boost gauge * Defi-Link Control Unit II * K40 radar detector and laser diffuser * RUF stainless steel pedals * Carbon fiber steering wheel, shift **** and parking brake * Silver Porsche crest * Paris Audio garage door opener * Chrome lug bolts * Bumper plugs (front bumper and driver's keyhole) * Rear wiper delete and plug * Clear side markers * Ash tray delete console * 35% tinted windows

This car quite literally scares me!!!! All four tires break loose with only a moderate blip of the throttle. Its uncanny. I am going to have to relearn how to drive the car based upon the new power band.

The GT800 turbos definitely lag a tad more than my prior Stage V ZCs. However, when they kick in (which is not much later), the force is exponentially more intense. It is difficult to keep the car straight. Even in third gear (I have not gone higher yet), all four tires break loose. The boost comes on VERY quickly once spooling commences -- the boost goes from zero to max in just a few hundred RPMs.

With the increased air flow provided by Speed Gallery’s intercooler end tanks and intake plenum, Todd says I am picking up 3+ pounds of additional boost (above and beyond that generally achieved by the program – Sharky’s custom program). I may have to adjust the fuel pump voltage amplifier to keep up with the additional air. Sharky, you really need to get these additional parts -- I’m guessing that you will pick up close to 50 hp, or more (3+ pounds and more air – the intake plenum alone added 30 hp on a 500 hp car – on our cars, the increase is considerably more).

The boost comes on so quickly and intensely that the transmission cannot shift quick enough and I am hitting the rev limiter. Todd says that the ECU needs to learn the new power band and, after about 150 miles, the ECU will adjust itself and I should stop hitting the rev limiter, with quicker shifting.

When off boost, the car is very smooth. I was concerned about how the new EVO torque converter would function during regular driving -- it engages at an appropriate RPM.

I owe both eternal thanks and genuine apologies to all the guys at Speed Gallery, Imagine Auto, EVO MS and Turbo Performance Center. Dan, Sam, Alan, Stephen, Todd and Tom: I couldn’t have done this without you guys . . . thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I also owe each of you guys a sincere apology for enduring my antics since this project commenced many moons ago. It has been a long a windy road, but we finally did it!

Craig
Old 09-16-2005, 07:14 AM
Tse-Tse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW; singly, you improved the economy.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:32 AM
DonneyJ
Instructor

ANY PICS
Awsome...how much for all the mod's if you don't mind me asking.

DonnyJ
Old 09-16-2005, 11:58 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what's the point of all that power...without control?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyC
So what's the point of all that power...without control?
Best keep her with stock power Bobby
Old 09-16-2005, 02:06 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Craig what is the cost for the intake and intercooler work?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Great setup Craig! I bet it must be scary fast, take it easy until you get used to it, it might take 2 months!
I see you have not done anything to reduce weight, I would think you do not track the car much but on the other hand I see that you have upgraded your anti-sway bars? Lightness is usually worth much more than HP on a track IMO.
Also, what kind of boost are you running on your daily drive program?
Congrats, great car and looking forward for some acceleration numbers if you happen to do a few runs.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Just what the world needs, another superfast "tippy" LOL,
seriously, that is some rocket hardware!!!
Show me the numbers!!! get to the drag strip!
do a 60-130 mph!
let us all drool.
MK
Old 09-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Craig.
Racer

Originally Posted by DonneyJ
ANY PICS
Awsome...how much for all the mod's if you don't mind me asking.
I lost track many decimal points ago. Put it this way, I am wayyyyyyyyy beyond the point of diminishing returns.

Craig
Old 09-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Craig.
Racer

Originally Posted by BuddyG
Craig what is the cost for the intake and intercooler work?
I do not know. All I can tell you is that that they definitely work. The OEM intake plenum and intercooler end tanks are poorly designed and indisputably restrict air flow, particularly on higher hp cars. The increased air flow from my SG/TD intake plenum, intercooler end tanks and y-pipe has released over three pounds of additional boost that is trapped/restricted by the OEM parts. The manufacturer achieved a 30 hp increase (at one point) from the intake plenum alone (without the intercooler end tanks or y-pipe), and that was on a 500 hp car. Larger hp cars should experience greater gains. Moreover, the intercooler end tanks are far superior to the restrictive OEM tanks and further increase power. For a car such as yours, these parts will make a definite difference.

Call Speed Gallery for pricing: (818) 776-2321.

Craig
Old 09-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Craig.
Racer

Originally Posted by Jean
Great setup Craig! I bet it must be scary fast, take it easy until you get used to it, it might take 2 months!
I see you have not done anything to reduce weight, . . .
Thanks for the kind words Jean and sage advice -- I definitely need to take it easy until I learn the new dynamics of my car.

Regarding weight reduction, I do not want to give up most of the creature comforts of my car, many of which add considerable weight. That being said, I have reduced weight a tad by: (1) installing a 20lb exhaust (OEM is 55+ lbs), (2) switching to sport seats, (3) removing the rear wiper and motor, and (4) removing the spare tire. It ain't much, but Im probably down 100 lbs or so.

Craig
Old 09-16-2005, 05:16 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

This is EXACTLY what the world DOES need Another black and fast 996TT tip Congrats buddy.. I'm thrilled for you. It's pretty ridiculous isn't it? I mean use that 103 and just go for it.. It's laughable sometimes! First few days I couldn't stay in it because I just felt scared. Everything outside just starts moving crazy fast towards you. Not quite Millenium Falcon HyperSpace-like but getting there...

We always knew these tips could be more than a match for 6speeds!
Old 09-16-2005, 05:17 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

And what do you mean it's DONE lol!?!?! Are you crazy?

PS Did you see the size of the turbos on the motor that Todd had on display?! Holy **** they're even bigger than ours!
Old 09-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Craig.
Racer

Originally Posted by sharkster
This is EXACTLY what the world DOES need Another black and fast 996TT tip Congrats buddy.. I'm thrilled for you. It's pretty ridiculous isn't it? I mean use that 103 and just go for it.. It's laughable sometimes! First few days I couldn't stay in it because I just felt scared. Everything outside just starts moving crazy fast towards you. Not quite Millenium Falcon HyperSpace-like but getting there...

We always knew these tips could be more than a match for 6speeds!
Amen my Ghey Tip Brutha!! I don't miss the 4k clutch replacements every 7k miles.

"Ridiculous" is an accurate description! I know the feeling of not being able to stay on it . . . its like a video game. I use only 104 (and keep it in race mode).

Craig
Old 09-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Craig.
Racer

Originally Posted by sharkster
And what do you mean it's DONE lol!?!?! Are you crazy?

PS Did you see the size of the turbos on the motor that Todd had on display?! Holy **** they're even bigger than ours!
Who said anything about being done??? Where is my crack pipe? I need more . . . . more, more, more! I have already begun planning my next project. Here is a photo of the turbos I plan to use:

If that doesn't work, I am going to go try something like this:

Or this:

I got the idea from these world famous tuners:

and

What do you think? Did anyone see where I put my crack pipe?

Craig

Quick Reply: This Car Scares Me