Sponsored by:

996 Turbo Sticking Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 07:20 AM
LPFR
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Turbo Sticking Sunroof

I have a 2003 996 Turbo Coupe. The sun-roof, slides back to open OK but on closing often sticks and needs to be manually pushed in order to close. I think the top of the sun-roof is actually catching, or rubbing inside somewhere. It's not covered under warranty, dealer reckons it needs re-aligning, or adjusting. I reckon I could do this myself, but dont know where to start. Can anyone assist? Ive done a search but can't find anything on 996 sun-roofs.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:31 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LPFR - not sure if the symptoms are the same but I have recently experienced problems with the sunroof closing on my '03 as well. It opened ok but would usually not close completely when the button was depressed. It would start to close but would stop at half-way and immediately reopen as if it had hit something; this happened about 80% of the time. My dealer acknowledged that several other of their customers have had this same issue and replaced the motor. This was 1 month ago and I haven't had any problems since.

Do you hear or feel any vibration when the sunroof comes to a stop?

kristap
Old 09-08-2005, 07:23 AM
LPFR
4th Gear

Kristap, Thanks for post.

Yes, it does make a noise as the roof stops, as if the motor is speeding up before it expires. I have now got car booked into a dealer for diagnosis,next week, on the understanding that this will be a warranty job.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:32 AM
NC Bob
Instructor

Had similar problems with the sunroof. Had to push it closed manually. Turned out to be the motor failed due to lack of track and cable lubrication. Not much we can do about it because the parts that need lubed are not accessible. Replaced motor under warranty.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:27 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that the dealer came around on the warranty issue

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Sticking Sunroof