Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/4 mile times for 996TT: just for an ET?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005 | 06:14 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I am not so much bashing as I am pointing out that many people like to state that things are better than what is. Such as stating a fact such as Buddy's time in the 1/4 yet saying that it would have been faster "IF". "I could have been a contender". IF someone is going to brag about the performance of his/her car (as Buddy loves to do), show us the facts and not the "what if's'". The time he reported is great for a Porsche, but, as someone who has regularly obtained ET's of less than 8 seconds on straight axle cars, do not overestimate how much reduction in ET a few hundred HP will make on a Porsche. As you mentioned, the hook up is far more important than is the HP. I can't tell you how many head tohead races I have won against cars with much more power than I had, and how many I have lost even tho I had more power.
Do you even have a dog in this fight? Where is your posted and documented 1/4 mile time? Before you go bashing me why don't you share with us your time?? And dang straight I am going to brag about my car I am proud of it. Porsche's never were and never will be drag cars, I would rather spend my time on a roadcourse. However, when the thread is post your 1/4 times I will reply and will include any caveat I care. This is a free country my friend.

Enough of you!
Old 08-23-2005 | 06:51 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Buddy G:

Did you change your gearing. If not, just curious why not. Do you not think it would be more useable power in first and second if the gears were slightly taller. I would think with your power, you would benefit from taller gears.
Old 08-23-2005 | 07:36 PM
collin996tt
Advanced

summer's almost over. can't wait to start my senior year in high school. what about u guys?

Old 08-23-2005 | 08:21 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

lol
Old 08-23-2005 | 08:36 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I am not so much bashing as I am pointing out that many people like to state that things are better than what is. Such as stating a fact such as Buddy's time in the 1/4 yet saying that it would have been faster "IF". "I could have been a contender". IF someone is going to brag about the performance of his/her car (as Buddy loves to do), show us the facts and not the "what if's'". The time he reported is great for a Porsche, but, as someone who has regularly obtained ET's of less than 8 seconds on straight axle cars, do not overestimate how much reduction in ET a few hundred HP will make on a Porsche. As you mentioned, the hook up is far more important than is the HP. I can't tell you how many head tohead races I have won against cars with much more power than I had, and how many I have lost even tho I had more power.
Buddyg ain't bragging. His car is bad ***... Buddyg, did you ever consider using PSI software?? I know you have GIAC/EVO now. Just curious of your thoughts on the ECU software out there.
Old 08-23-2005 | 09:50 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug H
Buddy G:

Did you change your gearing. If not, just curious why not. Do you not think it would be more useable power in first and second if the gears were slightly taller. I would think with your power, you would benefit from taller gears.
I have not changed it though you are right it might help. First gear goes by in a blink!
Old 08-24-2005 | 10:26 AM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Collin996TT: Nice Bengal cat. I have three: two from SGC parents, one was one of two of a long-haired snow bengal litter: Jose Canseco (sp?) bought one, we have the other. Cool cats.

Any other 1/4 mile runs out there?
Old 08-24-2005 | 12:11 PM
collin996tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarkRobinson
Collin996TT: Nice Bengal cat. I have three: two from SGC parents, one was one of two of a long-haired snow bengal litter: Jose Canseco (sp?) bought one, we have the other. Cool cats.

Any other 1/4 mile runs out there?
Mark, I don't have one yet. I just took my daughter to see some savannah kittens last night. A coworker is a breeder. They are simply amazing cats. Saw an adult cat jump 7 ft high. They also like to play in the bathtub filled with water. I'm really thinking of one or two. They're great alternative to dogs Cost a pretty penny though.
Old 08-24-2005 | 01:18 PM
killerbee
Advanced

What are typical 60 fts? Can't really get much better than 1.9 and that is with gobs of wheel tramp. Run consistient 7.50s in the 1/8 mile which, considering the sucky 60fts, is decent.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile times for 996TT: just for an ET?