Sponsored by:

creaking dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Estorilblau
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question creaking dash

I've noticed a creak emanating from the center of the dash. It seems to occur during some slower speed turns or when the left and right of the car are at slightly different elevations. Can anybody tell me if this is typical of the rigidity in these cars, or does the window/dash require padding or securing? Any tips in general as to creaks and rattles in the cabin of turbos (ex:sunroof) would be greatly appreciated as well.

thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 10:42 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

my 02 has it's fair share of sounds coming from dash, and center console area....I think they are very common across the 996's in general. Some dealers seem to be better than others at fixing, but the best way to take care of it is to put on a loud exhaust, roll windows down, turn the Bose up, and you will hear nothing...well at least not the creaks.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:02 PM
vego99
AutoX

some one mentioned either new windshield or appling foam cord in the outside windshield frame gaps.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Charlie360
Intermediate

Lightbulb

Hi Guys, Are you sure the creak is coming from the dash - I thought I had exactly the same issue, it drove me nuts for about 2 months trying to figure out exactly where it was coming from, in the end I realised it was actually coming from the top edge of the windscreen and being transmitted down through the rigid glass, so sounding like it was the dash. The fix is as mentioned go to a porsche dealer and ask for the foam cord, or in the short term spray in a little silicon lubricant under the rubber windscreen seal on the outside! Good luck
Old 08-10-2005, 10:48 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

If it is the windshield, I think this will work....

I had a 1997 993tt that had that problem, I searched the turbo boards and found that "Pedro's Ice" in the outer windshield seam will stop it. I bought some and it did stop.

For you guys that aren't familar with Pedro's Ice (I wasn't), it is a lube for bike chains. You can get it either online or at your local bike shop.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Estorilblau
Track Day

Yesterday I coated all the window seals with Motomaster 'Silicone Lube'. It really soaked in and conditioned the seals themselves, but the windshield resonance is still there. I'm not sure if the stuff I used was right, or if I should've gone around lifting the seal and spraying inside. Maybe it's still setting and lubing... hope this is enough to fix.
thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: creaking dash