Installing Schroth Harness?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 31 Posts
Question Installing Schroth Harness?

I am trying to prepare may TT for an upcoming driving event. I've received 2 x Schroth 6 point harnesses, a Brey Krause Harness Mount, and both the outboard and tunnel BK harness mounts. I've been instructed to clip both the sub belt and lap belt to the BK hardware. I'm having a problem in that the tunnel mount hardware has an eye opening that is trapezoidal or triangular in shape and seems too small to fit the clip mounts from both the sub belt and the lap belt.

The supplier "assures" me that there is room for both to mount. However, I beg to differ. Short of enlarging the opening a wee bit to allow enough room to fit, does anyone have any helpful hints on how to mount these two belts to the tunnel mount? I've tried mounting them so that the spring loaded "keepers" approach the mount from different directions, but still there doesn't seem to be enough room.

Thanks,
Old 05-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fred, I have this exact set up in my car I believe; Brey Krause harness mounting kit and brace with Schroth belts. I don't think the Schroth AND the stock belt mount to the same hardware. As I recall the stock belt stays on the stock attachment point; only the Schroth belts attaches to the BK piece. The BK piece can swivel out of the way when not in use, nice design.

I'm not driving the TT today, but if you wish I can check this for sure when I get home.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:41 AM
gney996
Instructor

you are right garey.,they should attach seperately.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Perhaps I'm Not Making My Problem Clear...

Please note that I am using stock seats, a 6 point harness, and will not be drilling holes. My supplier, Northstar Motorsports assures me that this system is very common. In requires you to sit on the sub belt, bringing it up between your legs and attaching the lap and shoulder belts.

In addition to the BK Harness bar, where the shoulder harnesses attach, there are mounts for the lap belts and the 6 point sub belt that attach at the OEM 3 point shoulder / lap belt mounting points. The outer mount is attached to the point where the stock Lap/shoulder belt is anchored near the floor in the door frame area.
BK Outer Mount

I have no problem here as the eye of this mount is large enough to accommodate both the LH lap belt and the LH sub belt clips.

The inner, tunnel side, mount is attached to the OEM belt receptacle alongside the transmission tunnel. The eye of this bolt is just a hair too small to accommodate both the RH lap belt and the RH sub belt clips.
BK Tunnel Mount

Has anyone used this setup? Have you had to slightly enlarge the inner mount hole to accommodate both belt clips?

I called BK yesterday to ask, but have not yet received a reply.

"........for the want of a nail, the shoe was lost..."

Thanks,
Old 05-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Fred, I did check and the tunnel mount eyebolt attaches WITH the stock mount. BOTH eyebolts are retained.

As far as the sub belts are concerned I cannot say. I do not use the sub-belt although I did purchase the five belt (not the six) version of the Schroth restraint. I have contemplated using the sub-belt but I've found the four point harness is such a quantum improvement in holding me in place as compared to the stock system that I've yet to deploy the sub.

Incidentally to turn the seat belt light off in my car I just attach the stock system over the top of the Schroth. No harm done and it does turn off the annoying light.

Sorry I can't help you more, and to continue the quote; "For want of a shoe the horse was lost".
Old 05-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. The BK tunnel mount simply mounts inboard (closer to the tunnel) at the same location as the OEM belt buckle receiver. It uses a longer bolt and stepped spacer supplied by BK. My problem is that the eye of the BK mount is not quite large enough to accommodate both my lap belt and the sub belt clips. It's interesting that the BK tunnel mount for Corvettes includes two eyes just for this purpose. I plan on using the OEM 3 point belt as well just to keep the damn warning chime from ringing.

..waiting on a call from BK for a solution.....

Quick Reply: Installing Schroth Harness?