Old 05-11-2005, 12:37 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Sell the EVO then. The 930 is a whole different world. You want the oh sh*% factor then that would be the ticket. They are reliable regardless of what the perception is.
And get another two seat monster? Sheeeat... James says the same as you. They run great and of course sadly I would mod the crap out of it wouldn't I?

I haven't ruled that out. Actually come summer-time I might... I don't think it'll end up as nuts as your yellow one of old tho....
Old 05-11-2005, 12:48 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/vids...%20Porsche.wmv

here's another one of the car doing 10s.. but you can hear how loud it is at the end of the run still.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:50 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

I have about the same pipes but with no cats.
Look up the pipes with a flashlight and see the turbines!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:04 AM
ak808
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you fellas have too much time on your hands

How does the sound level of factory cats + straight pipes on the non-turbo motor compare to turbos + factory cats + straight pipes? I tried this setup on my non-Turbo 996 and could only make it down the block before turning back. Do the turbochargers tone things down a bit? This would be track-only use unlike you crazies.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:40 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That setup would be pretty loud. You really need something to take the edge off.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Sharkster,

Is the whole exhaust pipe coming out of the turbos that wide, or are the tips wider than the rest? Could be a dumb question but my knolwedge of the 996TT is close to zero.

I have 3 1/2 inch pipes coming out of my Garrett turbos (993TT), no cats, only a middle mounted open muffler (more like an empty box) and this thing is VERY loud. Any suggestions on how to be able to tone it down for street use and then back to normal for track?

I read somewhere on RL about someone who added some kind of a flap inside the pipe that could be turned open and closed from outside..

My understanding is that if I reduce the inside diameter of one of the pipes with a flap or welding a small flange, I should not feel any hp loss, any views or help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jean
Old 05-12-2005, 02:05 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jean
Sharkster,

Is the whole exhaust pipe coming out of the turbos that wide, or are the tips wider than the rest? Could be a dumb question but my knolwedge of the 996TT is close to zero.

I have 3 1/2 inch pipes coming out of my Garrett turbos (993TT), no cats, only a middle mounted open muffler (more like an empty box) and this thing is VERY loud. Any suggestions on how to be able to tone it down for street use and then back to normal for track?

I read somewhere on RL about someone who added some kind of a flap inside the pipe that could be turned open and closed from outside..

My understanding is that if I reduce the inside diameter of one of the pipes with a flap or welding a small flange, I should not feel any hp loss, any views or help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jean
I'm not too familiar with the 993TT but I have a few freinds with them and we do sometimes get them in the shop. I'd think you would loose some to be honest... when people have tried that on the 996TT' they certainly have (boost goes down a bit).

Mine is 5 inch straight from the flange of the turbo and back. No bends.. nothing
Old 05-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want ultimate noise, how about figuring out a
turbo-bypass?
Joe
Old 05-13-2005, 02:45 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Mine is 5 inch straight from the flange of the turbo and back. No bends.. nothing
And I thought mine were wide! Were you able to find tips that fit them?

I would use the flap only on the street, so performance difference should be negligible according to my tuner (Todd K.) if I do it on one of the pipes. I need to find that thread with the adjustable flap.

Thanks, amazing car.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:13 PM
omega
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sharkster 930 can be yours

have very nice 86 turbo 54k fairly fast , lots of good stuff it can be yours por100x@yahoo.com am in sacto

Quick Reply: Videos: Loudest 996 TT Exhaust