Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody here run Michelin Sport Cups on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 12:02 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody here run Michelin Sport Cups on the street?

I know it sounds a little crazy but I was actually thinking about running them on the street now that the roads are good and the canyons are opening up. Will they wear too fast? I know that the BMW M3 CSL in Europe comes equipped with them from the factory, and it is a street car....They should last on the street pretty well considering the abuse they can take on the track. I think?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

JP - I would not use them on the street unless I lived someplace where it never rained. The tire is not good at evacuating water and hydroplanes very easily. Any R compound tire will wear out must faster than a street tire. You have to make a compromise - sticky soft rubber or more durable harder rubber.

If you want a very sticky streetable tire, consider the Dunlop SSR or the Pirelli P 0 Corsa System. Note be careful since there is also a P 0 Corsa (no system) which is similar to the Michelin Cup but better in the wet.

It is my understanding that buyers of the M3 CSL which comes on Cup tires have to sign a waiver regarding their use in the rain.

The Corsa System tires are standard equipment on the Ferrari Stradale Challenge and the Porsche GT3 RS.

Best,
Old 05-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

I'd suggest the Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs...a great tire, and they're very quiet.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:41 PM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran Corsa's for a while (the DOT race tire) and got 3 flats in 2500 miles. Very poor puncture resistance. They wore well and performed well though.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

I ran the MPSC's for about a year on the street. Now this was in SoCal so there wasn't that much rain but I DID drive them in the rain. I was just respectful when in the wet, and usually avoided freeways when it was coming down in sheets (which is rare in SoCal except this year of course!).

I even made a PCA club run on them out to Death Valley and back.

They lasted about a year as I say, I don't recall the mileage. This included some Autox, and street driving. The nicest thing was that you could drive them back and forth to the events.

I now use the Mich Pilot Sport. The ideal would be a second set of wheels with the tires on them, and then drive back and forth on the cups. Incidentally the Cups pick up all sorts of small rocks, dust, and various other bits and pieces because they are so sticky. But a great compromise track tire in my humble opinion.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:32 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

If you do, stay off standing water.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:01 PM
BoneDaddy
Advanced

Only to and from the track. I second the vote for the sport rib. Had Contis before and they were noisy in the low triple digits. Took the sport ribs to 175 this weekend - smoooothe and quiet.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:11 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

I used to all the time. Only issues is they take a while to get heated up so cold cold weather and water on the road are your enemy... Now I run RA-1s which aren't as hard but have great traction...
Old 05-11-2005, 03:33 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Sharkey,

What pressures are you running on the RA1's (cold and hot)?

Ciao,

Johannes E.

Quick Reply: Does anybody here run Michelin Sport Cups on the street?