Sponsored by:

Need urgent help!...Rock hit windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 08:37 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need urgent help!...Rock hit windshield

Driving down the parkway a hail sized rock hit my windhshield hard...so now I have an inch sized divot at the lower part of my windshield (just above the wipers). What do I do...replace it or can it be repaired? And what would a replacement cost?

Ideas anyone? thanks...
Old 04-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Sorry to hear about the damage.

There are windshield repair shops that can drill out the damage and fill the resulting divot. You can normally see where the repair was done, but it doesn't look as bad as the damaged area.

If it bothers you, then try to have it repaired; if you can't live with the result you can always have it replaced.

The glass is so chip prone on these cars that if you drive them at all, they'll look like they've been sand blasted. I took a pretty big hit on my windshield a couple of months after buying the car, no spiderwebing, but three good sized chips. I figured the windshield could be replaced every six months if I tried to keep it perfect, so i've let it (and all of the other small hits) go.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Is it in your line of sight? If so, I believe your insurance company will replace the windshield with an OEM one (I think you can get a new one every 2 years IIRC).

There is a limit to how large a defect in the windshield can be repaired (comes out invisible...pretty impressive how they do it).
Old 04-09-2005, 12:23 PM
jaytee
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine done as a crack repair after experiencing damage like yours. Go to this link and then click on the "What can be repaired" button to see the criteria for repair versus replacement:
http://www.chipdr.com/

Quick Reply: Need urgent help!...Rock hit windshield