Sponsored by:

Anybody had a 2002 X50 just stop running

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:50 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody had a 2002 X50 just stop running

25,000 flawless miles and it just stopped running today in the fast lane of the turnpike...Like somebody just flipped a switch...no cough or sputter.. Once we got her to the dealer, the computer read "no faults detected"....Seems to me like something basic like a fuel pump....Any similar experiences?
Old 03-12-2005, 05:37 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I just crossed 29,600 in my 02X50 without the same hiccough (superstitiously looking for wood to knock on) Can't something like a loose ground cause that? Please post the follow-up Wish I could be of more help. AS
Old 03-12-2005, 11:11 AM
HAMMER502
Instructor

COULD BE A LOOSE CONNECTOR AT THE RELAY OR A BAD RELAY?ALSO COULD BE NUMEROUS OTHER PROBLEMS.HOPE THEY FIND IT QUICKLY.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:59 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HAMMER502
COULD BE A LOOSE CONNECTOR AT THE RELAY OR A BAD RELAY?ALSO COULD BE NUMEROUS OTHER PROBLEMS.HOPE THEY FIND IT QUICKLY.
Sounds like it could be the known "fuel line disconnected at the sender" problem if it happened so suddenly and still cranks but doesn't fire up. Ask me how I know .
Old 03-12-2005, 01:34 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

MK...Tell me more....I am really disappointed because as I think back to all the cars I have owned I can't quite recall a car of mine ever just quitting on me...And I have owned some real junk over the years...Chrysler LeBaron, Ford Ranchero...A 145K car should not leave you out on the hwy! PS I have not chipped the car. Car turns over fine...Sounds fine when it turns over....Really just feels like it is not getting any juice. Talk to me please....
Old 03-12-2005, 01:42 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

JP, If you've owned a LeBaron, this conversation is over.
These cars are incredibly complicated (see the thread on the engine rebuild) and we don't have a "limp home" mode to the best of my knowledge. Your best hope is that it stays broken until the cause is identified. An intermittant problem like this will be the most aggravating. AS
Old 03-12-2005, 01:55 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

AS, it's true, the Lebaron was a low point... but I was college student and my mom sold it to me for a song....I remember that it talked to you..in this friendly yet annoying parental tone, it told you to buckle your seat belt, close the door etc. The clearcoat on the hood was defective and completely peeled off after about 40,000 miles...I think I sold it for 500 bucks. It was black with gold trim....Very pimpy...In fact my pals called the pimp-mobile.

Anyway, I'm guessing we have a very basic lack of fuel getting to the motor issue here...But it just should not happen....How come my Toyota Pickup can be literally pounded into the ground on 4x4 trails, driven all over the West...but still deliver fuel to the motor flawlessly after 160,000 miles?

I love my Porsche, but geez.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:26 PM
DonneyJ
Instructor

Sorry to hear of your misfortune....it aint meant to happen with Porsches. Happened to me once in the outside lane it was the condensor, an old opel I think.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:49 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JPschnitzer
MK...Tell me more....I am really disappointed because as I think back to all the cars I have owned I can't quite recall a car of mine ever just quitting on me...And I have owned some real junk over the years...Chrysler LeBaron, Ford Ranchero...A 145K car should not leave you out on the hwy! PS I have not chipped the car. Car turns over fine...Sounds fine when it turns over....Really just feels like it is not getting any juice. Talk to me please....
The clips holding the fuel line(s) to the sender unit above the gas tank ( under that central plastic dome in the front trunk ) have an inherent design flaw per my shop foreman. The hoses are known to suddenly pop off. Replacement hoses and clips are the std repair, but it could happen again. Have your tech look under that dome - shouldn't they still have the car if it's not running ? Good luck.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:18 PM
jdcohenmd
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did the same thing. I was told the fuel pump died. Let us know what the outcome is.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:16 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

Thanks guys...Yeah, had the car flat-bedded in via Porsche 24 hour roadside assistance..Car still at shop...Should know something on Monday...We had to push it into the bay at the dealer...Very unbecoming of such a car. Not to mention all the yahoos honking and waving..passing me on the highway as a sit there stranded with my emergency blinkers on.

The towing process was a whole story...The first truck showed up minus the crtical boards that help the long front overhang get up the incline...Mine has Aero kit ...w stock suspension, but without boards, that car is not going up the ramp PITA...So waited for a second truck with the proper stuff...Oh yeah...And don't forget to make sure that you have the tow hook eye bolt in your tool kit...Veddy important!

Old 03-13-2005, 02:56 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Consider it a part of character development. When I was considering a 550 Maranello, I spoke to one seller who had his car towed on 3 different occasions (different problems).
I remember one high speed run in my distant youth (driving an autocross modified 442 Oldsmobile) when after passing literally scores of cars, mine was felled by a snapped link in the clutch. I restarted the car in gear with the starter motor, but as I chugged in low down the shoulder to an exit, I was repassed by everybody. Catcalls, jeers, and even one person who tried to spit on the car. A fine lesson in humility. AS
Old 03-14-2005, 01:48 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Just putting my guess in... Im saying fuel line came off from the sender.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:00 AM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

Consensus is fuel line issue...So how can we all prevent it from happening again....any tricks....Glue? stronger clamps? Hey aftermarket, any fixes?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:45 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

Default It was the fuel pump...It was dead, car back!

Hey guys, it was a dead fuel pump...They quickly diagnosed it and got me back on the road. Question is..will it happen again

Quick Reply: Anybody had a 2002 X50 just stop running