Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
Whoa,

Try to keep warm without drinking so much coffe!

When's the big thaw?

July?
It's not the coffe. It's simply that I'm getting a serious case of blue ***** from not getting them of on the sexy heated leather seats in my turbo .... because it's winter!

The streets were dry and without salt until December 16th this year. That's unusually deep into the 7" icy ruts in the road season that Mr. Stemer seems able to navigate while living in the snow belt.

Stephen, the big thaw is in March/April. I am trying to find a way to ship my car to you before that to get the rods done (Any suggestions?). Then I'm going to fly down, after the big thaw, and drive home from Kansas. MapQuest estimates 27 hours.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:55 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zippy-i am sorry to disagree with you, but i presently own an 03tt and have had 2 other awd p-cars. i have put snows on all of them and they are great winter cars. you don't seem to indicate whether you have any experience in an awd p-car in the winter. with winter tires, they are good winter vehicles.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

First of all I wouldn't dream of subjecting my TT to the salt, gravel and sand that plagues the otherwise deep rutted and icy roads that dominate my city for what seems like an eternity every winter. I prefer to wait until the street cleaners pick up all that junk in the spring before I bring out my car. I have clearance concerns in the summer with speed bumps etc. I'm sure the AWD TT with snow tires is more than capable of navigating a smooth icy/snowy surface, but I think my factory aerokit wouldn't fair too well in the deep icy ruts in front of my house. I guess it all depends on what you call winter.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:38 PM
busychild07
7th Gear

I have to agree with Zippy on this one. I have a 964 C4 and even with snow tires it is seriously dangerous to drive around here. It's not so much the snow but the smooth sheet of ice that is left after the plows are finished. And then there is the salt and sand after that. The car is just too light and with too much torque and then there are all the other idiots on the road that are too cheap to buy snow tires or think that ABS makes them invincible. Do you really want to subject the object of your affection to that?? I guess in the end it's your choice. Do you risk the p car or a less coveted beater?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:54 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gentlemen-you both live in alberta. i am assuming that you get 50 plus inches of snow per year. our winters in the northeast is an occasional 15 incher surrounded by 2 to 5 inches every 2 weeks. for that, i can tell you that my tt does fine. part of the reason that i have an awd p-car is for it's all weather capability. i do not track it, and if i did, i probably wouldn't have an awd car. i see your point, but i see it the oposite way-why pay this kind of money for an awd car if you are reluctant to drive it in bad weather. after all, it is just a car. enjoy it.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:52 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

Old 03-13-2005, 12:07 AM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"FineProeprty", now that is why you should have an AWD TT. You can get up to the slopes a lot faster. I drive my TT up skiing here in Colorado all the time. I dont see the point of having the thing sit in the garage waiting for the warmer weather so I can "utilize" the AWD capabilities of the car on dry roads.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm putting on a 6" suspension lift & Body lift next winter and slapping on a set of 44" monster mudders. Look out winter!
Old 03-13-2005, 01:05 AM
omega
Racer

GET A SUV LEAVE THE GOOD CAR IN A SAFE PLACE IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TWO CARS SELL THE P CAR TO SOMEONE WHO WILL TAKE CARE OF IT NOT DUMP IT IN A SNOW BANK!HELL I DON'T TAKE MINE OUT IN THE RAIN MUCH LESS SNOW WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 03:04 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey man. I'm with you about winter, but driving in the rain is cool. Makes me feel like I'm in Germay humping around the ring. It always seems to be raining in those vids. Did a track day once in the rain. That was very fun.

Mike
Old 03-13-2005, 11:30 AM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I am over in Germany and Switzerland I see Porsches and 2-wheel drive BMWs all over the place in the snow. Hell I have seen M5's driving around in the ski areas. I agree that the TT is not the ultimate car but then it is made by people who know a little something about winter and driving. If you are too worried about the TT then dont drive it but if you dont mind the thought of driving it in the snow then it is going to be ok. Not perfect but a pretty decent snow/inclement weather car. Just be a little light with the right foot....
Old 03-13-2005, 02:50 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

We get occasional 15" dumps here on the south shore of Lake Michigan ("lake effect" snow), and my tt does fine. It is at the standard American ride height, and snow is the major reason I haven't lowered it. Driveways are another. My car won't win a concours, but it still shines up well. You certainly miss out on the extreme foul weather competence when you don't take the car out in bad weather. After all, I think we paid for the engineering. AS
Old 03-14-2005, 02:18 PM
KSA Turbo
Intermediate

Old 03-16-2005, 02:02 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Snow is not a problem for the awd system with proper snow tires, these cars were designed for all weather use ( and track use too). I wouldn't want some garage queen that only makes an appearance on sunny days, that is a waste of machinery and money.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:40 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Snow is no problem here. It is the potholes...third RF Assemetrico.

Any brand have better sidewall strength....with sacrificing too much stick?

<I wouldn't mind a little less noise as well>

Quick Reply: 996TT as a Snow Car???