Sponsored by:

Ignition coil cracks

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 03:04 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition coil cracks

When I changed the plugs on my 01 turbo I noticed several small surface cracks (maybe 1mm deep) on all the coils, particularly on the round part covered by the rubber boot. I don't think any cracks were visible on the external part of the coils. No carbon tracks. The car runs fine, including in heavy rain. When I had the car apart I called the dealer tech and he seemed to think it was a big problem. When I took the car in for warranty work they replaced the MAF and fuel pump and cured the full load high speed miss it was having. I don't think they pulled a coil and actually looked at the cracks. The tech said he checked the coils and they were OK. I'm 99% sure he did not pull a coil for inspection. I was not mentioned on the final work order. Is this anything to worry about? My warranty expires in June. Should I ask to talk to the regional PCNA rep? There were also a couple of other issues with the car the dealer could not replicate that were never addressed.
I wasn't that worried until I read on a Boxter forum that cracked coils were found as a fault on a PPI. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3958

Last edited by ebaker; 01-31-2005 at 03:30 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:28 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A cracked coil will cause issues. If not now then later. It will not repair itself and in time will continue to grow. My advice would be get it fixed now before it becomes an issue. It will sooner than later.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:44 PM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks

Quick Reply: Ignition coil cracks