Turbo performance tip vs 6 spd

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 01:33 AM
BigBagBen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additional question to this age old question

Don't mean to hijack the thread!

How many on here running 6 speeds 996TT's have had to replace their clutches. I realize it is dependent on how hard the car is driven like at the strip or general street drag racing, not that we do that right ; )...but is worth asking.

I am leaning towards a Tip now because of this thread, for all the reasons listed above.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:04 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Alex, I also have a 17 year old daughter, but she drives the 6 speed 911 and pretty awsome with it. It's all about driving the stick PROPERLY. Properly lauching the car hard ALL THE TIME will still get you 100,000 miles plus out of the clutch and will always be faster at all speed than the TIP. If not, it is not the transmission, but the driver that is the weak link.

I agree with you that it is easier to be consistant with a TIP, but again, this is not the transmission, but the driver. Someone who is experienced with a manual transminssion can upshift and dowshift as fast and as consistanly than someone with a TIP. Can everone do so??, NO, but many can. These are the drivers that get the most of out the Porsche driving experience IMHO. Both my wife and daughter would leave me if I ever bought a TIP.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:55 AM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Bla, Bla, Bla!!!

They are both amazin' cars (Man or Tip 996)

Just do it and buy one!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 09:25 AM
vyper340
Pro

And those of you who replaced one on your TT how much did you pay?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:30 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Alex, I also have a 17 year old daughter, but she drives the 6 speed 911 and pretty awsome with it. It's all about driving the stick PROPERLY. Properly lauching the car hard ALL THE TIME will still get you 100,000 miles plus out of the clutch and will always be faster at all speed than the TIP. If not, it is not the transmission, but the driver that is the weak link.

I agree with you that it is easier to be consistant with a TIP, but again, this is not the transmission, but the driver. Someone who is experienced with a manual transminssion can upshift and dowshift as fast and as consistanly than someone with a TIP. Can everone do so??, NO, but many can. These are the drivers that get the most of out the Porsche driving experience IMHO. Both my wife and daughter would leave me if I ever bought a TIP.
Well said 99! And if I may add in a TIP one misses the whole pleasure, that extra wide smile one gets, from blipping the throttle on a perfectly executed downshift. And what about in the twisties? Think a TIP will handle as well as a manual?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:47 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

99/911
I'm sure that F1 paddle shifters were developed because the engineers didn't think that automatic shift was better than rowing a manual. Yes, we know that the tip is an automatic with computer enhancements. The point is that simpilfying shifting has been a priority among designers of the highest performance machines, so they must think that there is an advantage. Having driven manuals for the past 40 years (I'm now 56), I can shift about as well as any amateur. Having raced at many amateur levels from 850cc thru Can Am, I believe I have enough experience to say that shifting provides lots of opportunities for errors, and even the best make them. That's why Jericho boxes (which I have in 2 track cars) replaced typical boxes in some series, sequential shifters were introduced, and paddle shifters with computerized rev matching were developed. I too enjoy shifting,a nd have a 6 speed in my X50tt (and manual in 4 current track cars), but it's not because it's necessarily faster. When Porsche switches to paddle shifters, will you still argue that you can row a trans as quickly? Try a tip on the track. Left in full auto it will upshift at absolute redline each time without you taking your eyes off the track. It will sequentially downshift under braking, leaving you the opportunity to concntrate only on braking and turning. I've ridden with pros, including Derek Bell. Please believe that under certain conditions, even the best-shifting pro is quicker with a tip. Those conditions will increase numerically when the tip has the same number of gears.
One day you may have an opportunity to drive a fast car with a Jericho transmission. This box can be shifted without using the clutch for anything but launch. You will be impressed at how much faster the car becomes, just by eliminating clutch actuation from fast driving. You first realize that now you can left foot brake (something all F! drivers do), and your times improve. Then you note how much easier it is to rev-match the downshifts without upsetting the car. Then you notice how you are more inclined to make the momentary shift before the end of the straight, etc. Rowing a gearbox is fun, but is century-old technology, and will one day be virtually obsolete- kind of like double clutching. I apologize for sounding argumentative, and want to reiterate that I too made the 6 speed decsision, but please don't believe that the tip owner gives away very much. The preference is personal, not practical. AS
Old 01-25-2005, 01:03 AM
jessejames
Instructor

Nicely said AS.

I was about to buy another 6 speed when a service director asked me to road test a TIP. I was hooked at that point and am still loving it. A TIP is faster and easier to be consistant IMO, and you can drive like a civilian in the traffic of a metro area.

I have not abandonned shifting but in the TT that I drive, the TIP works for me.

YMMV.

Quick Reply: Turbo performance tip vs 6 spd