Sponsored by:

Too Much PSM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 07:11 AM
RSA333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Too Much PSM?

I went driving on a wet track yesterday, tires not so great- Potenza SO2 - they are not R rated.

PSM came on a great deal, especially in exiting high speed corners, fast launches, etc.

Is this normal? Do i need better tires? Normally, I can drive under these conditions at the track without the need of articifical traction control aids. But this is my first 996 Turbo X50. Is this normal? Am I bad driver?

Any comments? Thanks in advance.

----------

02 996TTX50
92 RSA
93 911 Turbo S2
80 SC
Old 12-07-2004, 09:46 AM
boqueron
Pro

RSA, this is a great article that explains how PSM works in Porsche's:

http://webdisk.berkeley.edu/~dlrowney/PSM.txt

I hope it helps !
Old 12-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Is your car stock? Depending on how your suspension is set up it may make it more sensitve.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:39 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

RSA, are you comparing your experiences with the Turbo to your past experiences with other cars? The Turbo has a tremendous amount of torque. At the Nürburgring (not a lot of traction in the wet), if I floor it on a straight in the lower gears then PSM will intervene. It is necessary to feather the throttle and feel for the point where the tyres are losing traction. Race tracks can actually be worse than regular roads because of all of the rubber on the surface.

So it wouldn’t be surprising if you are able to get the PSM to intervene coming out of slower corners in an X50 car if you are using full throttle.

Do you need new tyres? Tyres are obviously the limiting factor. Impossible to say whether they are substandard and need to be replaced or not. Only you can really judge that.

Stephen
Old 12-07-2004, 03:58 PM
RSA333
Racer

Default Thanks...

Bougeron and others -

Thanks for the feedback. The link provided really offered some good advice on its use and non-use in road racing, which is the majority of what I do. I realized that my normal ability to throttle steer and using brakes to modulate car movement were being hindered by PSM, and in some corners, I may need to turn it off. Also - I am used to RWD 911s, and that could have been part of the problem. Power is no longer the issue, I just need more seat time and learning new habits.

Thanks - Gerry

-----------

02 996TTX50
92 RSA
93 911 Turbo S2
80 SC
Old 12-07-2004, 04:06 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RSA333
Thanks for the feedback. The link provided really offered some good advice on its use and non-use in road racing, which is the majority of what I do. I realized that my normal ability to throttle steer and using brakes to modulate car movement were being hindered by PSM, and in some corners, I may need to turn it off. Also - I am used to RWD 911s, and that could have been part of the problem. Power is no longer the issue, I just need more seat time and learning new habits.
My personal opinion is that the Turbo's AWD system is at least as much of a problem if not more when it comes to throttle steering the car. The viscous couplings respond to loss of traction so the bias is changing all of the time and is effectively trying to stop you from using throttle steering.

This is the big handicap of the Turbo on the track.

Stephen
Old 12-08-2004, 03:54 AM
boqueron
Pro

Fixedwing, I have sent you a PM concerning your comment on viscious coupling inicidence .

Harry,
Old 10-30-2006, 12:11 PM
911speed
Track Day

The link is no longer active. does anyone else have the information. I have done a search and I think the info that I am looking for is probably in the link send by boqueron.

Quick Reply: Too Much PSM?