APR or GIAC Chip

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's bad. Most porsche owners are under the impression that you must overpay for mods because you overpaid for your car. Not true. .....
Hey, I understand fine. And I made no mention of the Upsolute being bad either. For that matter, I'm not sold on your comment that I overpaid for my car. The mods, on the other hand were not a give-away, but I feel the pricing is fair. In my opinion, it is important to have direct contact with the individuals developing a product, particularly when playing around with such an expensive car. I gives me some peace of mind to know that if I have a problem, I can contact the guy in charge easily. With upsolute, you only have your area representative. From what I understand, the depth of his technical knowledge is not required to go beyond operating a soldering iron and having the ability to e-mail a file. Like i said in a prior post, I would be OK with this on a car that was not such a significant purchase for me. It makes me feel good to pay the extra bux give that: I have direct access to the guy with the brains, have an easy upgrade path for future mods, and have been given incredible service.

Mike
Old 09-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Excellent reply...now I'm on board with you.

That being said, I have used my Upsolute dealer on 2 cars now and he's always been very responsive to me and my questions. I have full confidence in his ability to handle my needs, but perhaps im not as picky as others out there.

Now what about other mods such as exhaust? Is a Europipe exhaust really worth $4500? Is a Kreis-Sieg exhaust really worth $9,000?

What about exhaust tips. Is there really $600 of workmanship in the X54 tips? What about the $800 FVD tips? Even the $300 Dansk tips are ridiculously overpriced, and they're the cheapest ones I've seen.

How about the Techart body kit? $15,000 for a few pieces of polyurethane? I just don't see it.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:09 AM
HAMMER502
Instructor

GO WITH THE GIAC SETUP.I HAVE INSTALLED 10 ECU UPGRADES WITH NO MAJOR PROBLEMS.I HAVE ALSO INSTALLED ONE UPSOLUTE ECU,SPENT 3 WEEKS TRYING TO MAKE IT RIGHT,AFTER 2 "REVISED "PROGRAMS STILL NOT RIGHT.HAD ECU REPROGRAMMED TO STOCK AND HAD GIAC SOFTWARE INSTALLED BY EVO MOTORSPORTS.CUSTOMER ECSTATIC WITH PERFORMANCE AND NO MORE PROBLEMS.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:26 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Excellent reply...now I'm on board with you.

That being said, I have used my Upsolute dealer on 2 cars now and he's always been very responsive to me and my questions. I have full confidence in his ability to handle my needs, but perhaps im not as picky as others out there.

Now what about other mods such as exhaust? Is a Europipe exhaust really worth $4500? Is a Kreis-Sieg exhaust really worth $9,000?

What about exhaust tips. Is there really $600 of workmanship in the X54 tips? What about the $800 FVD tips? Even the $300 Dansk tips are ridiculously overpriced, and they're the cheapest ones I've seen.

How about the Techart body kit? $15,000 for a few pieces of polyurethane? I just don't see it.
I love my EP 2 Loud. Is it "worth" U$ 4500? That is a lot of jingle. It's was a bit of an illogical purchase, but I'm very happy with the product. Is it worth $2.47 a day, assuming I sell my car in 5 years? Freakn' yah bubba. The price of tips are ridiculous. The Tech-Art body kit is huge dough and definitely not worth the $$$ IMO as I don't like it.

The value equation, when modding these cars, can in no way be rationalized on a spreadsheet. I would drive an STi or EVO if value was the main objective. There is a very significant intangible that must be compelling you to take the plunge or it makes absolutely no sense. I personally lie in bed at night thinking about this crap. I'm obsessed. In this state, it becomes easy to rationalize based on logic... or so I have myself convinced.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:28 AM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

To be fair, when the first couple versions of Upsolute for the 996TT came out, there was a problem that caused the CEL to activate, but there were never any performance or engine longevity problems identified.

Upsolute remained committed to their customers and the problems were all corrected as of approximately February of 2003. I stand firm by my opinion that Upsolute is more than adequate for 90% of all 996TT drivers out there.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:35 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

What percentage of 996TT owners even seriously considers modding their car? Of those considering mods, you have the temped and the addicts. Those who will be happy forever with a mild tweak are probably very well served with Upsolute. Those who will be craving more on the drive home from the installation shop should keep the door open and have a easy upgrade path. <<GIAC>>
Old 09-06-2004, 02:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Yes sir. we have done files all over the world, UK, Middle east, Aussie files and so on. I don't think there is a major country we haven't done.
What is a "major country" ?!

LOL!

(sorry, Stephen ... I just got a laugh out of the 'major country' idea ... I'm an Aussie ... is Oz a "major" ... then what's a minor country? ... New Zealand? :) ... I know your post was in the context of a sensible question ... : )

Quick Reply: APR or GIAC Chip