Sponsored by:

Turbo Experience w/ Kinesis Supercups

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 01:36 PM
drafting
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Experience w/ Kinesis Supercups

Anybody w/ a 996 turbo have any experience (good or bad) running Kinesis Supercups on their car? How does the finish hold up, any issues w/ robustness/durability of these cast wheels? Any words of wisdom on size and offset that work well w/ the turbo? TIA

Jeff

Last edited by drafting; 08-24-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:05 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless they've changed since I last looked, the Supercups use a small diameter centre spider. This makes the wheel look very small from a distance and really does not suit the lines of the later cars. You should look at a 19" Cargraphic wheel or something of that nature for the larger, later cars.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:09 PM
drafting
Instructor

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Unless they've changed since I last looked, the Supercups use a small diameter centre spider. This makes the wheel look very small from a distance and really does not suit the lines of the later cars. You should look at a 19" Cargraphic wheel or something of that nature for the larger, later cars.
FC ---

I agree, the current 18" Supercup design looks far too small on the present 911s. Kinesis is going to be manufacturing a "true 18" Supercup wheel in the not too distant future, which will have a much larger diameter center than the current 17"-based wheel. Although I've not yet seen a representation of what the wheel will be like, it sounds as if it is exactly what I'm after.

Since choices in modern wheels pretty much come down to aesthetics (unless you are hardcore into tracking or racing), I prefer the very fluid, curvy presentation of the Supercup or the Gemballa Comp 18s. For my mind's eye, these wheels follow and accentuate the sensual lines of the 996 body. The Cargraphics, HRE and Fikse wheels are all sweet looking, just not my cup o' tea for this car.

So, therein lies my question about whether or not anyone has had any functional issues w/ the present Supercup design. If there is no chronic gotcha out there, then it's solely an eye candy decision.

Jeff

Last edited by drafting; 08-28-2004 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:50 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

I agree...while I think the supercup is a great looking wheel...it looks best in 17" (what Kinesis designed it for) and on the older cars...(just my opinion)...the rumored 18" based center will probably look more like the 3 piece wheel used on the 964 bodied turbos...more center, less rim flange...Kinesis however has their offsets down perfectly
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/super_cups.jpg

Quick Reply: Turbo Experience w/ Kinesis Supercups