Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic...just how much are you giving up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 08:42 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tiptronic...just how much are you giving up?

in off line performance,

top speed,

and trackability?

Last edited by jessejames; 08-13-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:58 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Off the line, unless you brake-torque, the turbo lag does make for leisurely starts. Probably adds over a second to the published acceleration times! Top speed on this car is a non-issue, regardless of transmission. At the track, or even fast street driving, I would bet I'm at least as fast as a manual with the tip, and definitely twice as smooth.

Personally, I don't feel like I've given up anything except for the 3k rpm clutch drop starts, and the associated repair costs!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:46 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

September Car and Driver just tested a 2004 non-X50 Tiptronic Turbo Cabroilet ( ( all 3726 porky lbs ) and got 0-60 in 3.8, 0-100 in 9.2 and qtr 12.2 @116.
They say it's the fastest 996 Turbo, Tip or 6 speed , coupe or cab, that they've ever tested and can't explain the numbers other than commenting that it " must have been a particularly healthy example ".
Old 08-13-2004, 02:22 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

You're not giving up much. I've driven both many times and althoug my tip does have a lot of mods even in stock form it was on 9/10 occasions faster than any 6 speed. If the driver is really good then stock vs stock the 6 speed will get to higher speeds slightly faster (it's lighter also). An AWD 6 speed Turbo is VERY hard to launch well. I can launch Tip's way way harder...

As far as driving on the track goes. Everyone that's driven it, from me (a n00b), to instructors and even Cort Wagner, have all enjoyed it. It's much easier to drive fast, especially for novices and it's certainly no slouch.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:50 AM
boqueron
Pro

I owned a a manual Boxster, a Tiptronic Boxster S, a manual 996C4 and my present Tiptronic Turbo . I have to admit that I did not enjoy the Tip in the Boxster BUT with the Turbo it's another story. So powerfull that I do not find to be missing anything. Nor on track nor in my trips. ( BTW I have allways been driving manuals and thought that a true "Sport" car could only be manual: my mistake ! )

Good luck with your choice !
Old 08-13-2004, 09:52 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I have an tt tip - I do not go to the track -- so I know nothing about the tip on the track.

I use my car every day - in and out of the city - around town.

When I went looking for a 911 - I found that the nonturbo cars were fun with the six speed -- I could tell the difference -- and I liked the 6 speed.

Then I drove the tt tip -- I did not know what to do at that point.

Took about a week off from looking!

After driving a few more cars I took out a turbo 6 speed for a long drive -- I found that I was always in 3rd gear. The turbo just has so much power.

For the type of driving I was going to do the tip is a better car for me. I like the tip -- I do wish that it had a setting to allow to trans to go to 1st all the time.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:56 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Any driver can equal the 0-60 times claimed by Porsche for the tip, but very few can equal the performance numbers cited when driving their own 6 speed. The reason is that you need to torture the driveline to get maximal numbers from the 6 speed, but the tip will do it consistently and indefinitely. I chose the 6 speed because of where I live and my enjoyment in shifting, but I know my lap times would be quicker with a tip. I posted previously about my experience with Derek Bell, Blackhawk Farms Raceway, and tip versus manual. On that day, with that track configuration, in that car (a 964 cab tip vs many other 964's) he was quicker with the tip as well. In 2000, my 17 year old daughter was quickerin a tip boxster than others in manual 998's and 996's. The difficulties of a turbo only magnify the benefits, AS
Old 08-13-2004, 05:04 PM
RexracerX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread! My C2 is a daily driver and I've been tortured with the Tip v. 6sp question any time start looking toward upgrading to a TT. No way would I ever have a na P-car with a Tip. I have driven them one after the other and the Tip just isn't there. But with a Turbo and all that HP........
Old 08-14-2004, 05:12 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Makes a change from people saying "The Tip is so slow etc..."
Old 08-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Do you street race very much? Are you into tracking your car enough that a few tenths of a second (or few seconds) will be a big deal to you?

One of the reasons I don't have a TIP is because I was not willing to give up all of the fun that a six speed brings to the table. Another reason was because I love the longitudinal g created by acceleration, and with the six speeds gearing, I get more of it with the 6-speed than I would have with the TIP.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:01 AM
ypshan
Instructor

The one thing you will miss is the fun of nailing a perfect heel and toe. Driving the car is just as much fun as owning it. The 6 speed definitely makes one feel more involved/challenged and in control.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:23 PM
DonneyJ
Instructor

The tip changes so smoothly that the back in the seat feeling of acceleration isn't as noticible as the manual...it's also very easy to speed in the tip... the gear changes are so smooth you do not realise how fast you are going

DonnyJ
Old 08-27-2004, 10:31 AM
BrianPA
Racer

Originally Posted by MKW
September Car and Driver just tested a 2004 non-X50 Tiptronic Turbo Cabroilet ( ( all 3726 porky lbs ) and got 0-60 in 3.8, 0-100 in 9.2 and qtr 12.2 @116.
They say it's the fastest 996 Turbo, Tip or 6 speed , coupe or cab, that they've ever tested and can't explain the numbers other than commenting that it " must have been a particularly healthy example ".
That's unrealistic. With that kind of weight alone you can do the math and figure that it would have to actually have more horseopwer than an X50 is supposed to have to get numbers like that.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:29 PM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sharky is right, as always

At the track, TT tips rule for anybody on this board and probably for most/all of the people down on the racing board. Hurley Haywood said he is faster in the tip than with the 6-speed. If you are better at shifting and heel/toeing than him, you might have a shot. As someone else has said, the only thing you are missing with the tip are the repair bills from torturing the drive train and from the possibility of that 4th-to-3rd down shift that winds up as 4th-to-1st (don't you hate it when that happens... ). If you want the negatives, I think the most important one is the weight, not the shifting.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

For street driving, here's what you're giving up:

The 6-speed is more fun because of the higher longitudinal g the gearing provides.

The turning force at the wheels can be calculated by multiplying the torque by the overall gear ratio. Assuming a rolling radius of 1, and the same power curves, here are the rear wheel only turning force numbers generated by each car at peak torque...

1st gear...6-speed = 5453 lbs---Tip = 4306 lbs

2nd gear...6-speed = 2926 lbs---Tip = 2627

3rd gear...6-speed = 2013 lbs---Tip = 1691 lbs

The 6-speed had substantial pulling advantage due to gearing, and that provides a bigger kick in the pants.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic...just how much are you giving up?