Sponsored by:

Chip Mods & Octane Fuel - Detection

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 02:07 PM
AndyW
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chip Mods & Octane Fuel - Detection

For any and all programming mods out there. (Sorry if I leave someone out, but I'm new to these names, so just going on memory : EVO, Upsolute, etc. Feel free to post other names of tuners that people have/should consider).

Question :

1) Does the 996TT have a way of 'detecting' the octane level of
the fuel being used ?

2) I have gotten the impression that there are different
'programs' for different octane levels. However, what I
wasn't sure of... was whether or not the octane can be
detected and then the computer maps to the appropriate
program.

3) Do most of these programming modifications have a
'single' program, or do some of them have a 'valet' mode,
a 'street mode' (meaning high peak boost, not intended to
be sustained for long periods of time), a 'track mode',
where the engine is 'planned' to be running hot for
long periods of time, so the programming my favor something
more 'safer against detonation' but not running spike boosts,
but more focus on a more flatter power band.

Sorry... lots of questions, but i'm new to the mod game on P-cars, and I just wanted to get some education.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Old 07-10-2004, 04:16 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

I have a GIAC ECU from Imagine Auto...With GIAC, you need to specify the octane level when you order your program.
Also, GIAC distributors offer the optional IBE chipswitch that lets you have your stock and 2 extra programs...Choices for the programs are: a high performing one, a race version/track (need 100 octane), a valet mode, etc...
Old 07-10-2004, 08:23 PM
AndyW
Instructor

Thanks. From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like the Porsche has an octane detector ? Since you must manually 'switch' from one program to the next ? Also... if you are at the track, unless you syphon out your street gas, or leave SOOOO little... when you put in your 100 octane from the track, you'll naturally have a 'diluted' down-from-100 octane mixture, right ? So... what happens when the blend isn't as high up to 100 as it 'should' be .... with the IA600R, end up being too 'aggressive' for the octane level, and risk some detonation ?
Old 07-19-2004, 05:49 PM
KJ
7th Gear

Actually, I think every car that's been made in the past 10 years or so has an "Octane Detector". Really, what it is is a knock sensor. Most cars nowadays advance timing as much as possible, without the engine knocking. Once it knocks, the ignition timing is backed off until the engine runs knock/ping free.

The reason some people have different programs, is because the program is made to run OPTIMALLY at that Octane setting. An example might be that the 100 Octane Program may up the boost to 1.5 Bar. If this program is run on say 91 Pump Gas, there is NO AMOUNT of ignition retardation that will keep this engine safe. As a result, it will grenade itself in a few minutes.

On the other hand, if you have a program that's set for 91 Pump Gas, it's BEST settings are based on that gas. So putting in 100 Octane will be useless because this program may only be able to adjust timing based on 91 Octane +/- 4 Octane points (i.e. to be able to run on 87 Octane up to 95 Octane).

Hope this helps,
KJ

Quick Reply: Chip Mods & Octane Fuel - Detection